Foreigner seeking to invest in Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
john5891
Tourist
Great Britain

Foreigner seeking to invest in Cambodia

Post by john5891 »

Dear all,

I am visiting Cambodia next week on a Business Visa from the UK and will arrive in Phnom Penh.

I would love to connect with anyone seeking foreign investors as I would like to transfer my funds over to Cambodia and find an exciting opportunity to invest in.

With all the economic woes happening due to COVID I would like to create some positive change and get involved with something.

If anyone has an interested project or knows of a way I can connect with businesses owners, or investment opportunities, please let me know.

Best regards,
John
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Foreigner seeking to invest in Cambodia

Post by techietraveller84 »

Recommend connecting with the British Chamber of Commerce to get started networking in the business community. Additionally, be really careful out there. This is a rough time (COVID19) to invest in a business, and there are a lot of people out there suffering after getting burned.
https://www.britishchambers.org.uk/type ... e-cambodia
Please do keep the forum updated though. I'm hoping to start something in Cambodia as well, but likely going to wait till things stabilize both in Cambodia and abroad. Interested in hearing about your experiences.
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

There is a tuk-tuk driver called John based around "Neils Mart" who is always asking me if I want to "make some investment in a fishfarm or something". He should be easy to find.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

What budget u plan to invest ? What returns u expecting? I heard if u put ur money in a local bank it can make 7% fixed
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Um.. invest as in make money!

Or invest as in make a positive change?
(Otherwise known as hemorrhage money and feel good doing it).

With the economic downturn, it’s a great time for deep pockets to grab market share. Knock out some mom and pop businesses barely staying above water. Likewise a great time to invest in banks and micro finance institutions as they collect on delinquent loans and liquidate.

And the Cambodian government is always looking for donations to fund things like schools, roads, trash, etc. Not that they don’t collect taxes and have budgets. But if you donate, then they don’t need to spend tax money and it can be used for other purposes.

This is all tongue in cheek advice. Please don’t take any of it seriously.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

aah the old chestnut of "How to make a small fortune in Cambodia"....

It's quite simple really.

Step 1: Arrive in Cambodia with a large fortune

Step 2: Buy a bar.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

419?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

What areas/sectors of commerce are you interested in?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

To be fair the OP has not said anything about where he would like to place his investments, also he nether put an amount, or what experience or skills may lay, or if he is coming short or long term.
Some members have mentioned putting the investment into the banking and microfinance areas, being certainly higher interest then what could be gained from the equivalent companies in the UK.
I remember some years ago there was plenty of hardline expats who would have been in uproar now, for even considering putting money into microfinance, being how it would help towards the poor losing their land's.
In another light, for many years western countries lend money and donate aid, never known them lay heavy demands for doing so. How does China equal this with many of their people being in favor and freely invited with options of longer Visa's and the encouragement of investing.
Opening a bar, something I never wanted, but did do so, didn't really make money, but never lost it ether.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
helloall
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by helloall »

Hello John, PM sent.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic