Trying to move over to Linux

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Re: Trying to move over to Linux

Post by rockyboy612 »

If debian and ubuntu based systems don't work... you can always jump over to Arch... so far Manjaro is looking very promising
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:07 pm
John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm I don't understand why any domestic user would want to use Linux. Can anyone explain it?
Why would anyone want to Learn Khmer, when they can just hang out with English speaking people?

Because it opens up a huge amount of possibilities?

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has computers running Linux. They can do things on them that they cannot do on Windows computers. If there are any who don't know, Bill Gates became the richest man in the World selling Windows. Linux is now a massively superior operating system. Bill Gates knows Windows will eventually die. But he is still making a lot of money from those who have never put in the effort to become familiar with Linux.
Finetuning an OS isn't for everyone.

Whether Linux or Windows is superior remains to be seen. It depends on which aspects you take into account.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

[quote="newkidontheblock]

On to subject of Linux. Any domestic user doesn’t want to learn Linux. Any domestic user just wants something to work. The idea of harnessing computer power and efficiency appeals to programmers and tech personnel. Even the Mac Operating System runs Linux (actually Unix with a Darwin kernel) underneath.

I don’t want to open SSH Shell and $bash something on my iPhone to make a call or read this forum. I would rather press the phone app or the Tapatalk app.

I admire those who go with Linux and the many flavors.[/quote]

Linux is great for "domestic users"

Linux is open source and free which means more secure than windows, and a very low change of viruses if you download from authorized repositories.

Mint Linux​ (and I believe Ubuntu) come automatically with Firefox as a browser, Libre office for word/excel/presentations, gimp to edit pictures/photos, vlc player for videos and it normally finds the drivers "automatically" for printers/scanners or other devices you would connect to your computer.

You can install most applications people would need through the build in software manager (you don't need to use a terminal) and just like windows or MacOS you can just click the shortcut to open the program or files you want to start.

There is a steam version for Linux with a large database of games...

Learning some basic commands to use in terminal will probably be a good idea but hardly necessary for most people.

My mother of 65 has been using Linux for the last 15 years. If she can use it anyone can. Lol...​

crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:04 pm I don't understand why any domestic user would want to use Linux. Can anyone explain it?
Linux works really well on old machines, so if you're on a budget and can't afford much on hardware than its a really good. also as noted by other security.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

rockyboy612 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 pm If debian and ubuntu based systems don't work... you can always jump over to Arch... so far Manjaro is looking very promising
I did try Manjaro but I decided against it for two reasons - as someone with very limited knowledge of Linux, I wanted something a bit more user friendly to begin with. And second, I'm a bit of a UI snob. The look and feel of an OS is quite important to me and I didn't think the Manjaro UI looked quite as modern and polished as Pop! OS.

I may consider it when I'm a bit more familiar with the Linux way of doing things though.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

rockyboy612 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:30 pm If debian and ubuntu based systems don't work... you can always jump over to Arch
lol
if you want to have to configure every. single. detail

one other problem with linux is when you search for, eg, 'how do i add audio normalization'
you get a fucking essay on audio recording theory
before the one-line answer

which then doesn't work, because it was for ubuntu 12.4 or whatever

but then, windoze?
or apple's increasingly sticky trap?

monstra mihi bona!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I've been using Linux Mint (Cinnamon) for several years. It's still the easiest and most familiar Linux version for ex-Windows users IMO, with a start button/menu etc, it's pretty much identical. Libre Office is compatible with MS Office and you can open doc/docx/xls/xlsx etc with it and also save in those formats. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't had to delve into Terminal on occasion, though. Would never go back to Windows.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

Hi guys, I have been using Ubuntu for about 2 years now. I was trying to give a 2nd youth to an old laptop at the time.
A bit lost at the beginning, the same way i was lost when trying to use MacOs. However, not going back to Windows for my personal use as well.

Only "bemol" might be no real Adobe suite equivalent being available on Linux (yes there is GIMP, but actually no), but with time i found different alternatives for photo editing or digital drawing.
I find it more easy to use for everyday tasks. More responsive and less buggy. No need to buy (or pirate) expensive software anymore.
I really like the idea and philosophy of the free software as well, even if I am not really contributing.

And you can impress your friends while updating your OS through the Terminal ;)
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

velvet_thunder wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 am I really like the idea and philosophy of the free software as well, even if I am not really contributing.
This was one of the main reasons I am switching to Linux also. I like to make digital art and have been using (hacked copies) of Cinema 4D for years (I've never tried to make any money off what I do, it's always just been a hobby, so it's not really theft in my eyes).

This was the main reason I didn't fully switch over to Linux, but I've been teaching myself Blender for the past few months, as it's just about the only decent 3D Graphics program available on Linux.

While it has always had a bit of a bad rap, it had a bit of an overhaul a couple of years ago and started to get a lot of funding through some of the biggest players in the games and CG industry. As such, it has since got better and better and now easily rivals the main professional packages. I'm simply blown away that such a sophisticated and complex program is made absolutely free, both for personal or commercial use, and has really opened my eyes up to other free and open source software. OK, some of them don't quite look as polished as the paid alternatives, but they get the job done just as easily and, hell, they're free.

Even after about 3-4 months of using Blender on a daily basis, I still find myself sitting back from time to time absolutely amazed that a program like that is completely free. Not only that it's open source, so there's no nasties buried under the hood either. The people who make it have simply come up with other ways of earning revenue rather than trying to bleed the user dry every month by paying for a subscription which means they can end up paying thousands for a program they'll never actually own *cough Adobe*.

Free and open source software is definitely the way to go...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rockyboy612
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by rockyboy612 »

velvet_thunder wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 am Hi guys, I have been using Ubuntu for about 2 years now. I was trying to give a 2nd youth to an old laptop at the time.
A bit lost at the beginning, the same way i was lost when trying to use MacOs. However, not going back to Windows for my personal use as well.

Only "bemol" might be no real Adobe suite equivalent being available on Linux (yes there is GIMP, but actually no), but with time i found different alternatives for photo editing or digital drawing.
I find it more easy to use for everyday tasks. More responsive and less buggy. No need to buy (or pirate) expensive software anymore.
I really like the idea and philosophy of the free software as well, even if I am not really contributing.

And you can impress your friends while updating your OS through the Terminal ;)

Lightroom = DarkTable
Photoshop = Gimp
Premiere & AfterEffects = KDEN Live and or Davinci Resolve
Audition = audacity

Noticable CONS:
Photo merging and HDR is way better in adobe
Multi software linking wont be possible
you might hate the old school interface of audacity

but for basic to intermediate jobs, those CONS don't really matter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic