Kulen Elephant Forest Sanctuary

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Leighton Travels
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kulen Elephant Forest Sanctuary

Post by Leighton Travels »

I'd heard so many conflicting opinions about Kulen Elephant Sanctuary in Siem Reap that I didn't know what to think. Elephant keeping is a controversial subject and one that often draws emotional responses. In April KEF cofounder David-Jaya Piot invited me to go and see the sanctuary, meet the elephants and answer any questions I had. Find below an excerpt of the article. If you want to read the full piece, you can through the link below.

"As we progressed, there was much to learn about the sanctuary’s beautiful residents. Take 47 year old Savath, for example, recognisable for a large tear in her left ear. She was bitten by a snake and had to have part of her ear removed in order to prevent the poison from spreading. While her early years remain a mystery, we do know that she probably had a child, is best friends with another elephant, Chi Chorb, and generally doesn’t like to be touched. She’s also a bona fide movie star, having appeared in the acclaimed documentary Last of the Elephant Men".

Has anyone been to Kulen Elephant Sanctuary? What were your impressions?

https://leightontravels.com/category/ku ... sanctuary/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Kulen Elephant Forest Sanctuary

Post by Anchor Moy »

Beautiful. :beer3:
(And Leighton, that's much better than just posting a link to your blog. Thanks.)
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

The elephants seem genuinely happy, I've been a couple of times. Ultimately the owner is a French guy who puts profits first. He didn't seem to care when the elephants were overworked and died at angkor wat. His hand was forced for this new venture and it seems to be a great improvement for the elephants. I hope they have the budget to maintain them through these tough times.

Sent from my LLD-L21 using Tapatalk

Leighton Travels
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Leighton Travels »

@AnchorMoy: Thanks, I'm glad you liked the article. I shall include an excerpt on any future shares! Cheers again.

@Typhoon28: Thanks for your considered response. My impressions were that they're really trying to do the right thing. I can't speak for what went on historically with the owner and the family, but have read some really terrible accusations online. I thought David seemed like a decent guy and he gave us a lot of time, not shirking away from difficult questions. Are there improvements to be made? Sure, starting with the issue of chains.
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

Leighton Travels wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 pm @Typhoon28: Thanks for your considered response. My impressions were that they're really trying to do the right thing. I can't speak for what went on historically with the owner and the family, but have read some really terrible accusations online. I thought David seemed like a decent guy and he gave us a lot of time, not shirking away from difficult questions. Are there improvements to be made? Sure, starting with the issue of chains.
Elephant tourism generates very strong emotions and the antis never seem to see the big picture, I'm a realist, there is no perfect solution, you cant just release them back into the wild. I think the experience they are now providing shows significant improvements on the past and wish them all the best.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic