Siem Reap Peace Museum of Mine Action

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Siem Reap Peace Museum of Mine Action

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The Siem Reap Peace Museum of Mine Action (PMMA) is located in the headquarters of CMAC, Zone 2, Siem Reap. It was installed with the help of aid from the Government of Japan.
Exhibits include demining vehicles, demining machinery, armor, demining equipment and spare parts.
In addition, there will be presentations on the history of war, war activities, post-war remnants and post-clearance development.
The PMMA is also useful for the younger generation of people, who were born after the war, to learn about the war and the impact that it has had on Cambodia.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Siem Reap Peace Museum of Mine Action

May 20, 2022
Peace Museum of Mine Action in Siem Reap promotes peace

Peace Museum of Mine Action in Siem Reap province’s Prasat Bakong district has promoted peace through the eradication of landmines and explosive remnants of war, said Cambodian Mine Action Centre director-general Heng Ratana.

Ratana made the remark on Friday at the museum where a delegation led by Ly Thuch, First Vice President of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority, the Australian Ambassador to Cambodia, Pablo Kang, and other participants visited.

The delegation enjoyed touring the demining rat and dog demonstration and visited mines, bombs and guns to experience the effects of landmines in the Kingdom.

Ratana said demining has freed farmlands of landmines while farmers have safe land to cultivate.

“Visitors can see what had happened to our country and victims of mines and unexploded ordnances from wars”, Ratana said, noting that the museum’s premise covers 13 hectares.

“We are in the process of discussing entrance fees, ” he said, adding that officials have yet to set the exact fees yet.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501079348/ ... tes-peace/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

What happened to Aki Ra?

Landmine Musuem in Siem Reap
After Angkor Wat, the Landmine Museum is the most popular attraction in Siem Reap Province or Cambodia. The highlight of the Landmine museum is its four galleries with a vast assortment of deactivated arms that not only throw light on the landmine curse in the country but also the consequences of wars.

The displays include hidden mines, mortars, booby traps, guns and other ordnances recovered from different parts of the country. A small shop and an area devoted to carrying out the works of his NGO can also be seen here. Perhaps the best aspect of this museum is that it serves as a source of income for amputees to support their families, in addition to caring for hundreds of children badly affected by poverty and mine laying.

The Landmine Museum holds the distinction of being the first of its kind in the world. It’s completely safe and abides by all protocols put forward by the Ottawa International Treaty to Ban Landmines and the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Association Authority (CMAA).

Later, as part of the United Nation’s endeavor to restore peace in the country during the 1990s, Aki Ra get the opportunity to work as a de-miner. Though the UN left the country in 1994, he continued the mission in his way, even though it was not according to international demising standards. Initially, Aki Ra turned his own home located on the outskirts of the Siem Reap into a museum displaying decommissioned bombs, landmines and other explosive weapons that he had unearthed since 1995.

http://www.angkortuktuktravel.com/siem- ... avelcode=8
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

AndyKK wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:14 pm What happened to Aki Ra?
He is still around, he got in some trouble a few tears ago but I believe that is all water under the bridge by now. There's another war museum run by the RCAF off NR6 in Siem Reap city, it's got some interesting rusted hulks of helicopters, tanks, field guns etc. I took loads of photos there but can't seem to find them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Sounds interesting. What is the name of that museum John?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

War Museum Cambodia. Used to be just off Norodom.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
roadman
Expatriate

Post by roadman »

Thanks, I will go have a look.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

AndyKK wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:14 pm What happened to Aki Ra?
For further info on this; an old thread on the Akira Museum in Banteay Srey district:
newsworthy/museum-displaying-uxos-close ... 22700.html

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic