Khmer Idioms

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
syntaxresearch
Tourist
United States of America

Khmer Idioms

Post by syntaxresearch »

Hello there,

I am currently writing an academic paper on the syntactic structure of Khmer idioms. I am having trouble thinking of many idioms myself and am looking for suggestions on some idioms I could analyze.

For example in English:

Kill the dog.

Kill the night.

Kill the bottle.

These three phrases are examples of idiomatic expressions in English where the meaning of the verb is dependent on the object. Another example:

Cutting corners

Doesn't literally mean to cut corners, it means doing something poorly in order to save time or money.

I don't want English idioms translated to Khmer rather, the natural idioms in the language. I am also not necessarily looking for 2/3-word sentences but ill take anything you have. It would be really helpful if you could spell it phonetically so I could sound out the words. I don't read Khmer only speak. Thank you so much.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Khmer Idioms

Post by Alex »

So you want us to do your research for you? Let's hope you're just a lazy highschool student. There's a nice idiom for this in the English language: Cutting corners.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Alex wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 pm So you want us to do your research for you? Let's hope you're just a lazy highschool student. There's a nice idiom for this in the English language: Cutting corners.
I bet he's over the moon with your reply...

I know plenty of Khmer Idiots if that helps.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

No need to mince words guys. The answer is simply to scroll down.

And never forget, ចាបមួយនៅដៃប្រសើរក្រៃ ជាងចាបដប់នៅលើឈើ :thumb:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I don’t know- in fairness, asking questions here surely doesn’t preclude asking questions elsewhere. It’s all reasearch. Now, if you asked a Khmer, or anyone who as a normal part of conversation might talk in idioms, turns of phrase, etc, they might not understand what the question is. It’s just talking normally for the locals, but something else to us.

As an example- her in doors Might say we go ‘nam bai’*. I asked her one lunch where was the rice? Eat ri later, now eat sup.

*propa spelling l8r
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Actually there's loads of idioms in Khmer, and if you're able to speak the language you should know a dozen or so already.

In English:

When you have the water you have the fish, when you have the money you have the girl.
A good leg.
Died in the hinges (maybe hinges is translated wrong, it's the stand(s) you use for a boat pulled out of the water)
Climbing a person.
etc etc
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

old cow like to eat new grass

maybe it is "green grass" ...i forget the exact wording.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Loy pbram buorn or money 9 is pretty idiomatic....or is it slang....or is it both??
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:43 pm old cow like to eat new grass

maybe it is "green grass" ...i forget the exact wording.
fresh....
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:11 pm When you have the water you have the fish, when you have the money you have the girl.
That is what a lot of foreigners say, and now some Cambodians also say it.

It used to be:

Where you have water, you have fish. Where you have girls, you have boys.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic