Khmer Idioms

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Khmer Idioms

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ You might have that back to front.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:43 pm
Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:11 pm When you have the water you have the fish, when you have the money you have the girl.
That is what a lot of foreigners say, and now some Cambodians also say it.

It used to be:

Where you have water, you have fish. Where you have girls, you have boys.
I don't know, it's what my Cambodian teacher taught me in 2009, your knowledge must go back even longer.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Some of the things discussed previously are not actually idioms.

I can think of one Khmer idiom right now.

ឆ្លងទន្លេ pronounced something like 'chlong tdoonle,'

It literally means 'cross the river.'

As an idiom, it means 'to give birth to a baby.'

I have heard it originates from, giving birth to a baby is difficult like swimming across a river.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

We are getting idioms confused with proverbs, and then there are colloquialism which are similar again.

Are 'dead funny' and 'dead boring' english idioms? Khmer has loads of those... I suspect they aren't idioms though.

Kadow jung ngoab... Hot want to die
Tonh jung ngoab... Bored want to die
Klein jung ngoab... Hungry want to die
Kompline jung ngoab... Funny want to die

What about 'eat money' ... 'see luoy' as is 'smart see luoy'
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

khmerhamster wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm We are getting idioms confused with proverbs, and then there are colloquialism which are similar again.

Are 'dead funny' and 'dead boring' english idioms? Khmer has loads of those... I suspect they aren't idioms though.

Kadow jung ngoab... Hot want to die
Tonh jung ngoab... Bored want to die
Klein jung ngoab... Hungry want to die
Kompline jung ngoab... Funny want to die

What about 'eat money' ... 'see luoy' as is 'smart see luoy'
The expression I have heard from Cambodians, is 'klaj jong ngoup,' which is very close to 'frightened to death' in English.

I joke a lot with Cambodians and say things like, hot want to die, and happy want to die. I think the people you are dealing with have a sense of humor, and are joking the same way I do. Hungry want to die, seems legitimate, but I dont remember hearing it used.

See loy is actually correct Khmer. See can be translated eat. It can also be translated consume. So Smart consumes a lot of money.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Expanding on the post above, add these two to the list of idioms.

klaj jong ngoup
pai jong ngoup

The closest translation in English for both of them is 'frightened to death.' Since you don't actually die, these are idioms.

klaj translates as 'frightened' or 'scared.'
pai is usually used the way we use 'to get a fright.' Bit it is sometimes used as 'frightened' or 'scared.'
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Not an idiom, but correct Khmer.

vool mook means dizzy.

vool means rotating or spinning.
mook means face.

So vool mook means my face is spinning, which translates as dizzy.

In English we have my head is spinning, which usually has a different meaning, and is an idiom.
syntaxresearch
Tourist
United States of America

Post by syntaxresearch »

Alex wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:15 pm So you want us to do your research for you? Let's hope you're just a lazy highschool student. There's a nice idiom for this in the English language: Cutting corners.
Well no buddy... First off Khmer is a pretty low resource language and I've already read through literature and researched a bit. There isn't much. Asking around and getting data from real people is a part of the research smart one? Do you think a historian going out into the field to ask someone about some subject is them doing the research for them? But thanks anyway.
syntaxresearch
Tourist
United States of America

Post by syntaxresearch »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:41 pm I don’t know- in fairness, asking questions here surely doesn’t preclude asking questions elsewhere. It’s all reasearch. Now, if you asked a Khmer, or anyone who as a normal part of conversation might talk in idioms, turns of phrase, etc, they might not understand what the question is. It’s just talking normally for the locals, but something else to us.

As an example- her in doors Might say we go ‘nam bai’*. I asked her one lunch where was the rice? Eat ri later, now eat sup.

*propa spelling l8r
Thank you for understanding about research lol.... When I saw that other guy's post as the first comment I just facepalmed hard and assumed the rest of the comments weren't worth reading. Also thank you so much for your data
syntaxresearch
Tourist
United States of America

Post by syntaxresearch »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:11 pm Actually there's loads of idioms in Khmer, and if you're able to speak the language you should know a dozen or so already.

In English:

When you have the water you have the fish, when you have the money you have the girl.
A good leg.
Died in the hinges (maybe hinges is translated wrong, it's the stand(s) you use for a boat pulled out of the water)
Climbing a person.
etc etc
I know some and I talked with family and friends to get more but we are Khmer who live in the states and are not as connected culturally / with the language anymore as someone living there. (The slang is very different and I'm sure there's been some linguistic drift).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic