Pchum Ben: A drop in sales and a rise in prices

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Pchum Ben: A drop in sales and a rise in prices

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL:
go figure
Pchum Ben Festival has now begun and Phnom Penh market stalls have seen a drop in sales for clothing and kitchenware, causing a rise in prices. Pchum Ben – Ancestors’ Day – is the biggest religious festival for Cambodian Buddhists to pray for their dearly departed relatives.
.....shop owners at both Orrusey Market and Central Market reported a drop in sales this year. Eight shopkeepers said they have seen a decrease in sales so have had to raise their prices slightly.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Pchum Ben: A drop in sales and a rise in prices

Post by xandreu »

I never went to the school of economics which is probably why I'm having a hard time understanding how a raise in prices increases demand? Can anyone explain?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

" Eight shopkeepers said they have seen a decrease in sales so have had to raise their prices slightly. "

Fantastic marketing ploy, that should stimulate customer demand :)

Reminds me of when I was selling my house, and I rejected a low offer from a foreign couple who couldn't speak English, so they offered me even less 30mins later. Absolutely clueless,
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Wow, this is classic...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
God'sGift
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by God'sGift »

xandreu wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:55 am I never went to the school of economics which is probably why I'm having a hard time understanding how a raise in prices increases demand? Can anyone explain?
Sure, because if the customer notices that the business is strugling, they will just volunarily offer to pay more,to help out their fellow man. It's a win win because the customer then has less money for themselves so will be likely to not spend as much money, hence a good saving.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

xandreu wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:55 am I never went to the school of economics which is probably why I'm having a hard time understanding how a raise in prices increases demand? Can anyone explain?
thaiconomics
work is for people who cant find truffles
MacShroom
Tourist
Uruguay

Post by MacShroom »

Have not experienced this price increase here in Cambodia where I live and my local Pagoda has seen good turnout.
My wife is going again tomorrow and then off to her father's province Sunday.
Everybody knows that the closer a major holiday gets the prices go up for items that people want..especially food..
Of course people are hurting this year....Some of them spent money just a few weeks ago for a New Year celebration that had been moved 4 months.
Try to celebrate the holiday..the meaning of it..
Why get caught up in economics during this holy period?
If you are not taking part in it and praying for your departed family members and offering food to those in the spirit World ...what difference does it make what a few stall owners gossip about?
My wife bought a lovely new white blouse a few weeks ago and I took wonderful pics of her in her traditional garb prior to her taking food, beverages and Riel to the Pagoda on the 3rd.
I decided not to attend this year as to not cause any discomfort to Khmer people seeing a Barang. We moved and it is a different Pagoda.
Sadly, I am missing the trip to the Provence as well this year where I would be welcomed and embraced.
My wife is going for a week and I felt it is best to give her a few extra bucks and stay home. She can perform her family obligations and not worry about me...
This is the most important time of the year.
People can offer rice a few Riel and their departed family members will understand.
The old ladies who pray with my wife after the monks asked for the names of my family members to include me in the ritual..
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

It doesn't increase demand but those that have to buy the essentials end up paying more. So a drop in sales @ normal prices is equal to fewer sales @ higher prices. In other words, you make up for the loss of volume by a higher mark-up.

Sort of like if your shares go down by 50% you double up and buy..

Entirely logical.. :mrgreen:

cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

MacShroom wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:16 pm Have not experienced this price increase here in Cambodia where I live and my local Pagoda has seen good turnout.
My wife is going again tomorrow and then off to her father's province Sunday.
Everybody knows that the closer a major holiday gets the prices go up for items that people want..especially food..
Of course people are hurting this year....Some of them spent money just a few weeks ago for a New Year celebration that had been moved 4 months.
Try to celebrate the holiday..the meaning of it..
Why get caught up in economics during this holy period?
If you are not taking part in it and praying for your departed family members and offering food to those in the spirit World ...what difference does it make what a few stall owners gossip about?
My wife bought a lovely new white blouse a few weeks ago and I took wonderful pics of her in her traditional garb prior to her taking food, beverages and Riel to the Pagoda on the 3rd.
I decided not to attend this year as to not cause any discomfort to Khmer people seeing a Barang. We moved and it is a different Pagoda.
Sadly, I am missing the trip to the Provence as well this year where I would be welcomed and embraced.
My wife is going for a week and I felt it is best to give her a few extra bucks and stay home. She can perform her family obligations and not worry about me...
This is the most important time of the year.
People can offer rice a few Riel and their departed family members will understand.
The old ladies who pray with my wife after the monks asked for the names of my family members to include me in the ritual..
Welcome back br549/jm57/Bob's friend bob or whatever your name was
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic