Double tax?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
lorna.illingsworth
Tourist
Great Britain

Double tax?

Post by lorna.illingsworth »

Hi

I am looking to move to Cambodia for a school year to teach in a local school. I am looking into double tax and how getting paid will work once i want to return to the UK.

I will only be out there September-July, so this isn't a full tax year.

Does anyone have any advice on how its best to deal with getting paid/taxed in Cambodia and taking this money back to the UK legally but trying to reduce the amount of tax paid.

Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Double tax?

Post by Yerg »

lorna.illingsworth wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:51 am Hi

I am looking to move to Cambodia for a school year to teach in a local school. I am looking into double tax and how getting paid will work once i want to return to the UK.

I will only be out there September-July, so this isn't a full tax year.

Does anyone have any advice on how its best to deal with getting paid/taxed in Cambodia and taking this money back to the UK legally but trying to reduce the amount of tax paid.

I took all my earned (net of tax) money back to UK with no issues. Sent it all back by bank transfer. Never been asked a question. Nor the 10+ years of Middle East income previous to that. It might not be entirely right, but I’ve never had an issue.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Sorry, to add, I registered non-resident non-dom too.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

AFAIK there is no double taxation agreement with the UK. It sounds as if you will not be away long enough to move your tax domicile out of the UK and would theoretically be liable for both sets of taxes.
What does your accountant say?
TaxKHpro
Tourist
United States of America

Post by TaxKHpro »

Currently Cambodia does not have a DTA with the UK.
AseanTax.com- we save you time (90%) to be exact.

We’re online tax calculation software.

Print all your completed monthly tax declaration forms in Khmer.

https://nbokh.com/how-it-works
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad
Theoretically, yes, you do have to pay tax on income here unless you are non-resident. In the first tax year you might just be able to claim non-residency, but if you go back to the UK in July then the second tax year you won’t.
It also depends if you are working the rest of the time in the UK, if not then your salary at a local school may not reach your tax free allowance.
As to the real world situation, it depends on things such as how formal your employment at the school is (many still pay in cash) and the likelihood of HMRC being able to get any information from them in the rare event that they checked up, assuming you had actually told them you were working rather than on holiday or volunteering.
Not that I am condoning or encouraging any form of tax evasion just for the record!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic