NGO Secret Societies

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: NGO Secret Societies

Post by newkidontheblock »

amatuertrader wrote:I was asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement that included surprising limits on my freedoms.

I wasn't allow to say anything negative about the NGO.
I wasn't allowed to discuss the inside workings of the NGO to anyone.
I wasn't allowed to write a blog.
I wasn't allowed to post on internet forums any of my activities.
I wasn't allowed to leave their compound alone or unsupervised.
I wasn't even allowed to keep a personal journal.
A lot of corporations have similar policies. As an employee, the inner workings are a corporate secret. If the competition knew what a corporation was up to, they could beat them to the punch. An employee is also the face of the corporation. Blogging something inappropriate might ruin the corporate image and open up the company to potential litigation. In some contracts, after leaving a company, one cannot work in that field for a certain period of time.

And yes, in areas where physical security is a problem, leaving the compound isn’t allowed. For example, in Nigeria, oil companies keep their employees on drilling ships - no shore leave allowed.

Haiti is on the US Do Not Travel list due to crime, civil unrest, kidnapping, and Covid-19.

Kinda strange about not allowing a personal journal, ‘tho. However, if the company owns the paper, pen, computer, or internet connection, they can legally mandate what is or is not allowed.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

amatuertrader wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:31 pm A few years ago I considered doing some work with a humanitarian NGO operating in Haiti and doing disaster relief.

I was asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement that included surprising limits on my freedoms.

I wasn't allow to say anything negative about the NGO.
I wasn't allowed to discuss the inside workings of the NGO to anyone.
I wasn't allowed to write a blog.
I wasn't allowed to post on internet forums any of my activities.
I wasn't allowed to leave their compound alone or unsupervised.
I wasn't even allowed to keep a personal journal.

I thought that was insane and I never agreed to it and never worked with them.

I have a feeling there are NGO workers on this forum, maybe just lurking.

Would any of them care to shed some light on this practice?
Is it common in the NGO world?

I bet there are lots of interesting stories that go untold because of fear of lawsuits and loss of job and is possibly an NGO career killer if violated.
Clinton Foundation?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

I was expecting this post to be about some nefarious NGO cabal plotting who knows what but it’s just some strict contract conditions.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

When I was a teacher in Yangon in 2012, I used to visit Traders' Hotel every weekend to use the internet access in their coffee lounge, (it was the only place at that time with reliable internet...).

The hotel had whole floors block-booked by some very well-known NGOs, with a string of white Land Rover vehicles outside, (with never a spot of mud on them, because they never went outside the city limits).

I applied for, and was offered a job by one of these NGOs as an educational advisor. I was aghast at the high salary and perks on offer. It was an insult to anyone who truly cared about helping the needy in Myanmar. I turned down their offer.

I'd love to spill the beans on this 'household name' NGO, but guess that none of my revelations would come as a shock to this forum....
ramone
Tourist
Samoa

Post by ramone »

There's big money in poverty, but to be fair some of the NGOs do a great job. I remember the Starfish foundation giving out a sack of rice, bag of sugar and salt and fish sauce on a monthly basis to students that attended their school. Great for all. I hope they are still operating.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic