Cost to register a used car in Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Cost to register a used car in Cambodia?

Post by wolfcreek »

This article makes it sound very easy and cheap to register a car in Cambodia: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/110482/tho ... istration/

Is it really this easy? Why are some people paying hundreds of dollars? Do any of you have actual experience registering a car here?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cost to register a used car in Cambodia?

Post by phuketrichard »

thats over 2 1/2 years old
best contact matt at cnn motors via fb
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Any idea how to obtain a Cambodia driving license?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ssian wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:44 pm Any idea how to obtain a Cambodia driving license?
topic40364.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Matt charged a friend of mine around three hundred dollars for doing the registration itself, and another $150 for his consulting fee, and another $35 or so for the car inspection. I'm just trying to see if it is possible to do it cheaper by myself (I have lots of freetime and lots of patience dealing with bureaucrats). That is why I asked if anyone here actually has done it without an agent.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

wolfcreek wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:06 pm Matt charged a friend of mine around three hundred dollars for doing the registration itself, and another $150 for his consulting fee, and another $35 or so for the car inspection. I'm just trying to see if it is possible to do it cheaper by myself (I have lots of freetime and lots of patience dealing with bureaucrats). That is why I asked if anyone here actually has done it without an agent.
I did it in November last year; don't think fees have changed much. You can do yourself but you may need to wait hours at the registration office and finally may have to come back the next day. So I used an employee of that office to do it for me. She charged $100 for the normal registration which would take a week. A rush job would be $150 or $200 including a longish license plate instead of the normal rectangular one, and with a special number altogether $400 including the inspection which is normally $50. The normal reg. fee is only $32. I paid the $400 as I wanted a PP license plate (I live in the province) which makes it easier to resell the car. I spent only an hour there. The tags were sent to me by messenger.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

.... I paid the $400 as I wanted a PP license plate (I live in the province) which makes it easier to resell the car.
dont ya need a PP address than to get it registered in PP?
and why would it be easier to sell?
Just asking as will be in the market for a car once i Move over
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:22 pm
.... I paid the $400 as I wanted a PP license plate (I live in the province) which makes it easier to resell the car.
You do need a PP address. If you don't have one it'll costya, that's why the $400. Easier to sell because Khmer don't like provincial plates.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rubberbaron wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:59 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:22 pm
You do need a PP address. If you don't have one it'll costya, that's why the $400. Easier to sell because Khmer don't like provincial plates.
is Cambodia that different from america or thailand?

if i buy a car in New york and i live in CA, i register said car in Ca.
If i buy a car in Bangkok yet live in Phuket, i register said car in Phuket

is Cambodia different that you can't change registration?
if so, who cares where it was purchased.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I find this is all in all a very strange carry on, you can register a used car but not a used motorcycle. You can exchange your overseas drivers licence for a Cambodian one to drive a car, but not a motorcycle over 125cc. Why is this so, what are the reasons of this?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic