How easy is it to be self mobile (getting a local moto licence)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How easy is it to be self mobile (getting a local moto licence)

Post by Lonestar »

I would not recommend traveling on a motorcycle above 125 cc's without a license. There are many roadblocks that can be very difficult to avoid and you run the real risk of them impounding your bike.

I recently got the ten year license for a car and a moto....and it is worth the hassle. It takes about a week of getting the paper work in order, and going up there to test. But, once you get it you are golden for the next decade.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Lonestar wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:33 am I would not recommend traveling on a motorcycle above 125 cc's without a license. There are many roadblocks that can be very difficult to avoid and you run the real risk of them impounding your bike.

I recently got the ten year license for a car and a moto....and it is worth the hassle. It takes about a week of getting the paper work in order, and going up there to test. But, once you get it you are golden for the next decade.
Decade, unless you’re over 60 then it’ll be up to 67yo. I know a guy who managed to get a 10 year and he’s 62 but they’ll just do it yearly after it expires. Annoyed a little was he.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Like I said, I want the license, that was the point of the thread, even if I have to take the test. I got the bike before the new laws, but now that happened the police are very keen. So no, I will not use it until legal, I do have a smaller one I use around anyway.
But the point I was making, and hoping someone here may have done it recently. Because on the ministry's web site it looks like now you can't exchange for an A licence. But I could be wrong, it's what I had posted initially, the questions and answers are there. But not so clear.
The idea is to be legal on the bike so I can get the insurance, I also realize that it is the bike insured not the person, but the insurance company still want to see your Cambodian driving license. It's not like I am green or something, because for over 10 years I have rode around the country, but not seen all the corners, only one is missing just now from my list.

Also, I am itcing to get out and write more trip reports. But for now it's important to get the license.
One more thing I was aware of is I was told that the cut off date is 60 years old, then (if correct) you only are allowed to obtain a yearly license. So if I was to take the ten year option I would actually only get the two years being 58.

It was not easy to find this bike, not many Jap one's left in the country, but there are Chinese ones still about in greater numbers, so it's a case of looking well.
Over the last month or so I have totally stripped the bike down and rebuilt it back up, there will be a few more new performance parts I have on my list that I will add later to the bike, paint job I think will be next.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

At 58 you’d still get a 10 year licence I believe. The cutoff date is 60 (meaning you’ll only get a 1 year (or it might be 2) from that age.

I’ve heard people still getting a 10 year at 63.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Well this thread has cleared up something for me. I'd been wondering if I could change my Australian motorcycle licence for a Cambodian one, because the AU one expires soon and I can't renew it without rocking up to Sydney for an eye test. But it seems not. Not actually riding a moto here but it's handy to have a licence on hand for ID as opposed to carrying a passport around. Hopefully no-one will notice my AU licence has expired in the future.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:05 am Well this thread has cleared up something for me. I'd been wondering if I could change my Australian motorcycle licence for a Cambodian one, because the AU one expires soon and I can't renew it without rocking up to Sydney for an eye test. But it seems not. Not actually riding a moto here but it's handy to have a license on hand for ID as opposed to carrying a passport around. Hopefully no-one will notice my AU licence has expired in the future.
Don't carry your passport around go to a copy shop and get the main page and current visa photocopied and laminated, back to back, in plastic the price is like 2500 reil. I have been doing it for years and it has been accepted everywhere the only place the actual passport has been needed is at the embassy.
note: I haven't rented a moto etc where your passport is used as collateral
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Only ever been asked for a passport when checking in to a hotel. Never been stopped in my 80 years in SE Asia.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

whatwat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:44 am Only ever been asked for a passport when checking in to a hotel. Never been stopped in my 80 years in SE Asia.
I don't even take my passport when travelling in Cambodia, have just used my licence as ID. Anyway I have a photo of my passport on my phone anyway so that would probably suffice. I only commented because when my licence expires my passport will be my only remaining valid photo ID.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:05 am Well this thread has cleared up something for me. I'd been wondering if I could change my Australian motorcycle licence for a Cambodian one, because the AU one expires soon and I can't renew it without rocking up to Sydney for an eye test. But it seems not. Not actually riding a moto here but it's handy to have a licence on hand for ID as opposed to carrying a passport around. Hopefully no-one will notice my AU licence has expired in the future.
Even if you did convert your AU licence (I think they wouldn't for a soon to expire one), you nevertheless would still have to show a current OS licence when you renew your cambo one next year. They certainly checked mine a few months ago.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

And don’t forget foreigner licence has to match passport country.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic