How easy is it to be self mobile (getting a local moto licence)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: How easy is it too be self mobile

Post by whatwat »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:51 pm
whatwat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:31 am You can’t exchange a foreign bike licence to a yearly Cambo one. Only cars ‘B’.

To get an A cat you have to do the 10 year test.
Huh? I don't think that's right. I have a car and unlimited capacity motocycle licence in Australia and got that converted to an equivalent A&B Cambo yearly licence. Did that years ago..I don't think anything's changed.

Other related threads:

general-chatter/renew-cambodia-driving- ... %20license

post434785.html?hilit=driving%20licenses#p434785
There’s always exceptions and what happened two years ago has no relevance now. It’s just what I’ve been told.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:44 pm I have travelled across the country on my motorcycle (110 CC) and still do so from time to time and have never been into serious trouble with the cops.

Make sure you wear a (full face) helmet.
Make sure your bike has mirrors and a plate.
Make sure you have a (Picture of) the ownership card. I never take the original card with me, just a picture in my phone.

Traffic cops are the laziest bunch around, they’re too lazy to stretch their hand to pick even the lowest hanging fruit so you’re fine with the guidelines above. At least according to my experience.
I was in the hope that someone may have done this recently, I also can understand if the license exchange can only be made for a car, being that it again stands for our hosts to gain highly once more from there guests. With the shit that goes with it, I will think about what to do, if it is worth doing or not.

https://www.mpwt.gov.kh/en/home

Yes, Kammekor I too have travelled even on a smaller 50cc around the country, but my need is now for the 400cc I have tested not too long ago, and recently striped it down by nut and bolt and rebuilt it.
You mention how lazy the traffic cops are! Once again that may have been in past years, now if you we're to ask the ones whom had been stopped for no licence, and then deprived of $395 by the lazy cops, I would say now they have an incentive to help them along, since that apparently is the going rate, and they keep 75% of fine monies.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Until now i would have been in big trouble with the new licencing rules.
But by the time i get back, my kayak's power plant is going to be a shade under 125cc rating.
(and keep diminishing incrementally every year as i get older. sigh)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:50 am Until now i would have been in big trouble with the new licencing rules.
But by the time i get back, my kayak's power plant is going to be a shade under 125cc rating.
(and keep diminishing incrementally every year as i get older. sigh)
Well let's hope nothing is too interfere with that enjoyed pastime, but then again I have underlying suspicions that when the Chinese link that of their coastal areas, for the passenger and commercial boating, they may just be calling the shots of what is what in their so called investments of the waters.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

To add, it's nothing new, that the laws or regulations on what is considered for a Khmer is not the same for a expat, infact most things don't always seem to be thought through overall, there's always that of a gray area left, a can or can't we kind of senario. Sometimes it does make me wonder if they have left this kind of thing on purpose, with the fact, it gives someone or a department the chance of gained monies.
But on the licensing side it is clear no person who is not a Khmer will not legally drive anything larger than a family car.
The main reason I am thinking of a Cambodian license. 1. I believe in following the laws in any country. 2. Insurance purpose, because no one will insure you without. Also it is common knowledge no matter if you was to be involved in any accident, it would always be that of your fault, for just being on the road.
But the most important thing to me is having the right to drive or ride myself. That is a strong point, because if it was the case that someone took that right of freedom from me, I would no longer feel any belonging to that place.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You need a valid license in your own country plus Cambodian license to be covered by insurance
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

atst wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 am You need a valid license in your own country plus Cambodian license to be covered by insurance
Why would you need a valid license of your own country if you was to be insured by a Cambodian company, if you held a Cambodian license?
But that is not a problem to me, as I do have my own countries valid license. Just not the Cambodian one at this time! More on this subject, what if you rode a bike less than 125cc that recently had the license scraped, how would someone go on there to provide a licence that no longer exists, to the insurers?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Sorry referring to travel insurance I'll have to check out Cambodian insurance cover
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:39 am
atst wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 am You need a valid license in your own country plus Cambodian license to be covered by insurance
Why would you need a valid license of your own country if you was to be insured by a Cambodian company, if you held a Cambodian license?
But that is not a problem to me, as I do have my own countries valid license. Just not the Cambodian one at this time! More on this subject, what if you rode a bike less than 125cc that recently had the license scraped, how would someone go on there to provide a licence that no longer exists, to the insurers?
If you're going around on a 400cc bike without a valid Cambodian license you're simply looking for trouble. Your license from your own country isn't valid here, except for the conversion to a Cambodian license. If you want to travel worry free do so on a bike with a smaller engine, less than 125 cc. Less adventurous, but hassle free as long as you obey some basic rules.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

whatwat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:53 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:51 pm
whatwat wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:31 am You can’t exchange a foreign bike licence to a yearly Cambo one. Only cars ‘B’.

To get an A cat you have to do the 10 year test.
Huh? I don't think that's right. I have a car and unlimited capacity motocycle licence in Australia and got that converted to an equivalent A&B Cambo yearly licence. Did that years ago..I don't think anything's changed.

Other related threads:

general-chatter/renew-cambodia-driving- ... %20license

post434785.html?hilit=driving%20licenses#p434785
There’s always exceptions and what happened two years ago has no relevance now. It’s just what I’ve been told.
Yeah you could be right although logically I can't see why they would convert only half of the status of your OS licence ie car but not bike but as we know, things are not always necessarily logical here.

My experience dates back some years...to elaborate, I originally converted back in the good ol days when you could just take it to a local travel agent. I was going around with an under 125cc moto and at the time I recall the car licence included under 125cc moto licence. Then they abolished under 125 licence (albeit unclear whether that applies to barang) and then I started to think I wanted the option for a bigger bike.. So the next time I renewed my yearly licence at Aeon 2, I just asked them to add the A licence component and they happily did that at the time..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic