Senior Australian Police Chief Meets with Director General of Cambodian Immigration

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Senior Australian Police Chief Meets with Director General of Cambodian Immigration

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Australia Continues to Cooperate with GDI to Prevent Transnational Crimes
AKP Phnom Penh, September 04, 2020 --
Cambodia and Australia have pledged to further boost bilateral cooperation for effective prevention of cross-border crimes.

The pledge was underlined in a recent meeting here in Phnom Penh between H.E Gen. Kiet Chantharith, Director General of Immigration, with Gen. Anthony Maguire, Senior Police Chief of the Australian Federal Police.

Gen. Anthony Maguire thanked the General Department of Immigration (GDI) for its good cooperation so far including in the so-called Strikeforce Dragon aimed at preventing transnational crimes that could pose risks to the national security of both countries.

From his end, H.E. Gen. Kiet Chantharith, warmly welcomed and congratulated Gen. Anthony Maguire for his mission in Cambodia, and thanked the Australian government for the support to Cambodia.

The director general reiterated Cambodia’s stand to cooperate with Australia to better address the transnational crimes, including drug and human trafficking.

By Pheng Somany
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Senior Australian Police Chief Meets with Director General of Cambodian Immigration

Post by atst »

Interesting to know how he flew here from Australia.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Senior Australian Police Chief Meets with Director General of Cambodian Immigration

Post by Username Taken »

atst wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:19 am Interesting to know how he flew here from Australia.
I was just wondering how long he had to wait to get approval to exit the country. I hope he does the mandatory 14 days quarantine at both ends of his trip.

:popcorn:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Username Taken wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:43 am
atst wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:19 am Interesting to know how he flew here from Australia.
I was just wondering how long he had to wait to get approval to exit the country. I hope he does the mandatory 14 days quarantine at both ends of his trip.

:popcorn:
Holders of diplomatic passports are exempted :stir:
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Holders of diplomatic passports are not exempt from testing on arrival, quarantine pending test results, and completing 14 days quarantine or self-isolation... only they don't do it at the same place as the rest of us, their Embassy provides the facility.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

The AFP has officers stationed at the Embassy. This bloke will be the senior officer stationed here for probably a 3 year posting. He may have been here for a long time. The article just mentions about a meeting and not a special arrival.
Embassy's have personal from different sections including Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Immigration officers to manage the visa process of applicants from Cambodia, AFP tp liaise with Interpol and local police, AUSAID to administer Australia's programs in Cambodia, Military Attache who liaises with the countries military etc.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Australia has long had a team of senior Australian Federal Police (AFP) stationed in Cambodia as Australia's first line of defense against trans-national crime and crimes using Cambodia as a "transit stop" en route to Australia. Crime intelligence liaison between Cambodian and Australian agencies is mutually beneficial. Australia has paid for the installation of several very sophisticated devices at Cambodian ports of entry to scan inwards and outwards items of luggage and cargo.

Any expats who attend the annual ANZAC Day Dawn Service remembrance at the Australian Embassy will be well aware of this as a uniformed senior AFP representative always lays a wreath.

Off shore prevention is better than 'cure" or "capture" in Australia.

OML
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Interesting
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Would it be impolite to mention Yoshe Taylor here? - and suggest they get there act together, uphold the basic principles of justice and make this co-operation meaningful instead of just photo-ops, mutual backscratching and showing the flag/uniform.

I don't think that is a cheap shot . Their actions in this case and others overseas has roundly been called out for being "disgraceful" (not my quote)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:14 pm Would it be impolite to mention Yoshe Taylor here? - and suggest they get there act together, uphold the basic principles of justice and make this co-operation meaningful instead of just photo-ops, mutual backscratching and showing the flag/uniform.

I don't think that is a cheap shot . Their actions in this case and others overseas has roundly been called out for being "disgraceful" (not my quote)
Yoshe Taylor is back in Australia. What's to discuss ?
newsworthy/australian-drug-smuggler-sen ... ml#p335532
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic