Philippines

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Philippines

Post by nerdlinger »

Also... Manila is the only place I’ve seen an advert in the window of an electronics store publicising a store credit scheme based on foreign remittance payments.

Makes me feel bad for the workers who moved abroad alone to be live-in maids and shit to send money home to support their families, who then take out a bunch of credit to buy a big screen TV at 22% APR and expect them to keep sending the money.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:37 am Also... Manila is the only place I’ve seen an advert in the window of an electronics store publicising a store credit scheme based on foreign remittance payments.

Makes me feel bad for the workers who moved abroad alone to be live-in maids and shit to send money home to support their families, who then take out a bunch of credit to buy a big screen TV at 22% APR and expect them to keep sending the money.
One of my ex-employees had to quit his well paid job and return back to the Philippines to sort out all the financial trouble his family had caused taking out loans on the basis of his decent salary in the Middle East, using his payslips as security. He ended up disowning almost his entire family after they had hawked his salary for new furniture, electronics, mortgages, car loan et al. The guy was up to his neck in debt thanks to his wife, parents, parents-in-law, siblings and cousins. Fortunately, he called up and came back to his old job and cut his family off. And disowned all the debt too. It was a cluster-f*** of a situation. I felt so sorry for him. He was a top top fella.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

amatuertrader wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:15 am You forgot to mention that Filipinas have bigger tits than SEAsians.
i dont think thats true at all tbh
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 am
amatuertrader wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:15 am You forgot to mention that Filipinas have bigger tits than SEAsians.
Agreed!!!!
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

I'm talking about real natural tits, not the fake fat tits so popular today on SEA bargirls.

But probably not wise for me to argue with the resident tit experts, I'm a leg man myself and out of circulation for years.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 am
Agreed!!!!
They've definitely got the biggest asses in Asia. Big tits are a corollary of the big asses. They are the fattest of all the Asian nations I've seen probably due to all the junk food they eat. It was a big shock when I first went there.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Yerg wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:07 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:37 am Also... Manila is the only place I’ve seen an advert in the window of an electronics store publicising a store credit scheme based on foreign remittance payments.

One of my ex-employees had to quit his well paid job and return back to the Philippines to sort out all the financial trouble his family had caused taking out loans on the basis of his decent salary in the Middle East, using his payslips as security. He ended up disowning almost his entire family after they had hawked his salary for new furniture, electronics, mortgages, car loan et al. The guy was up to his neck in debt thanks to his wife, parents, parents-in-law, siblings and cousins. Fortunately, he called up and came back to his old job and cut his family off. And disowned all the debt too. It was a cluster-f*** of a situation. I felt so sorry for him. He was a top top fella.
Got to feel for that guy, what a terrible position to be put in for just being thoughtful and generous. Sounds like he made the right decision in the end.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote:Got to feel for that guy, what a terrible position to be put in for just being thoughtful and generous. Sounds like he made the right decision in the end.
Traditional Asian, kid royally screws up, family divorces him. In this case, family screws up, kid divorces the family.

Talk about role reversals.

Hope he does better in his new life. No parents, no wife, no in-laws, no extended family. Clean slate start.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:19 am
Got to feel for that guy, what a terrible position to be put in for just being thoughtful and generous. Sounds like he made the right decision in the end.
I blame the lenders. There’s a very clear pattern of businesses preying on numerically illiterate hicks, doing as much as possible to get them to take out credit on terms they don’t understand, without consulting the breadwinner.

People are told that because their daughter is working abroad it means they should have a new car, and best not disturb them with the details so it can be a nice surprise for them when they visit.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

NitNoi wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:51 pm Other posters raise concerns about safety but provinces are well protected. Each town has several barangays, each with an elected captain and a local "tannod" security force. These men get a small allowance and patrol their barangay at night. Local problems are resolved at the barangay level by people who know and understand their neighbors. While serious crimes involve the National Police, most disputes are settled at this local level.

Armed guards ARE stationed at banks, malls and other potential targets but their job is to open the door and give confidence to customers. After too much alcohol there sometimes are fights between young men but this is the same everywhere and does not involve foreigners. Pick pockets are a menace in Manila (I have been caught twice) so keeping yous wits about you in crowds and leaving valuables at home is a good idea. I took risks when I was younger (down a dark lane to score weed etc) but I have never been physically threatened.
Walking around at night I never really felt "safe" in any of the bigger cities i visited in the Philippines. Having armed guards even at McDo and metal bars in most of the smallest shops (with probably a gun behind the counter?) sure dont feed my safety feelings. As for my personal experience I have never seen so many handheld guns showed around as in the Philippines..combined with the fact that some of the booze costs less than mineral water and colored pills everywhere represent a high risk of trouble.

But I must admit that I never witnessed aggressions against a tourist (like happening in Thailand) but mostly between locals. Fights erupt on the grounds of nothing (i.e. favourite basketball team loses) and can get very nasty quickly.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic