Some sort of Chinese ghost festival today

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Some sort of Chinese ghost festival today

Post by atst »

What's with offering food to the God's or dead people, I can't work out the logic in thinking they are being feed.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Re: Some sort of Chinese ghost festival today

Post by simon.sayed »

Cambodia is host to many public holidays (21 set for next year), along with several ‘unofficial’ days off throughout the year, mostly celebrated by Sino/Vietnamese Khmer, but often used as a reason to down tools by many.

September 2, 2020 is Chung-Yuan known as the Hungry Ghost Festival, Zhongyuan Jie (中元節), Gui Jie (鬼節) or Yulan Festival. To many non-Chinese speakers in the kingdom it is referred to as Chinese Pchum Ben.

The origins of this festival differ. One is that of Buddha Shakyamuni‘s best students. He had various supernormal powers and owned the divine eyes.

One day, he saw his deceased mother had been born among hungry ghosts. He went down to Hell, filled a bowl with food to provide for his mother. Before reaching his mother’s mouth, the food turned into burning coals which couldn’t be eaten. Moggallana cried sorrowfully and asked for help from Buddha. Buddha said the sins of his mother was deep and firmly rooted, it couldn’t be forgiven just using the divine power and it’s required the combined power of thousand monks to get rid of her sins.

Buddha told Moggallana that, ” the 15th day of the 7th lunar month is the Pavarana Day for the assembled monks of all directions. You should prepare an offering of clean basins full of hundreds of flavors and the five fruits, and other offerings of incense, oil, lamp, candle… to the greatly virtuous assembled monks. Your present parents and parents of seven generations will escape from sufferings.”

Following Buddha’s instructions, Moggallana’s mother obtained liberation from sufferings as a hungry host by receiving the power of the merit and virtue form the awesome spiritual power of assembled monks on 15th day of the 7th lunar month. Today, similar rituals are held in the Buddhism temples on this day for the deliverance of all suffering spirits.

Modern day families will leave food and drinks as offerings to their ancestors, who will leave hell to feast.

The festival is celebrated across Asia among different Buddhist sects and even some branches of Hinduism. However, it is not an official holiday in mainland China.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Thank a lot for your in depth explanation fascinating
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

This question seems to get asked every year
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:27 pm This question seems to get asked every year
Hahaha I won't ask next year
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

atst wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm What's with offering food to the God's or dead people, I can't work out the logic in thinking they are being feed.
The food is only offered to the spirits for a short time, then shared out and eaten by living folk.
I can't work out the logic
Well you're not alone there. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:11 pm
atst wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm What's with offering food to the God's or dead people, I can't work out the logic in thinking they are being feed.
The food is only offered to the spirits for a short time, then shared out and eaten by living folk.
I can't work out the logic
Well you're not alone there. :?
Another less than helpful post by Bingham.

[Mod edit: what are you on about? He answered the OP's query.]
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:The food is only offered to the spirits for a short time, then shared out and eaten by living folk.
Burning Joss sticks or candles are the conduit to the spirit world. The spirits get a copy of the offerings on the family altar along with any prayers and blessings made by the living. Once the sticks or candles burn out, connection is severed. Spirits are assumed to have finished eating the spirit offerings and received prayers and blessings. I Time to eat the originals.

Hope this is less than useful explanation helps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic