Where to send child for primary school?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Where to send child for primary school?

Post by Syntaxfree »

I may move back to the U.S. before my son is old enough for school but if I stay here what are my options for where to send my son for primary school? Is home school an option? I see there are some seemingly decent international schools but It seems wasteful to spend 5K + for him to learn abc's and 123's. I don't think I'd feel comfortable sending him to any of the public schools I've been to, Idk. Are there any other options that I'm not aware of?
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Where to send child for primary school?

Post by IraHayes »

Syntaxfree wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:35 am....... but It seems wasteful to spend 5K + for him to learn abc's and 123's.
Firstly, you need to re-evaluate your position if you think it is wasteful to spend any amount of money on early years education.
Though I will add that the teacher is more important than the school. Of course, at the top end this won't be a concern as you can be assured of quality teachers. At the middle and lower ends... not so much. At this level you should be prepared for the good teacher you liked leaving and being replaced by an unknown you won't be able to properly check-out as you are out of the country.
NOTE: the ability to teach correct pronunciation has been a re-occurring problem for one guy I know of on CEO. (he may chip in on this thread himself)

Home-schooling could be an option if the parent is capable and dedicated.

Which ever school you choose it would be wise to return every 3 or 4 months just to make sure everything is as you left it, so to speak, if you go for the cheaper options.
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

It would be a waste of money if there's a better option. I don’t know that there is but that’s what I’m trying to figure out. For example, I'm wondering if there are any good expat home school groups in Siem Reap?

My brother didn't care for his local public school system in the U.S. and didn't want to drop a ton of cash on private school so he joined a homeschool group where his kids learned until the 4th grade. They were still allowed to join their local school system's sports teams and participate in lots of other extracurricular activities with the school.

They entered grade four with a more advanced education than their peers and were still properly socialized. I don't know how possible that is here though so Intl. school might be my best option. Idk. I suppose I have some time to look into it. My boy only just turned 3 so I'm just trying to see what's out there. Thanks for the feedback.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Visit local (private) schools and talk to teachers doing the early learning grades. Home schooling can be great if you know what you’re doing, but (proper) teaching is actually a difficult skill, although it may seem as easy as walking if you see an experienced teacher doing it.
My kid started learning at the age of 3. At first I doubted whether it was too early - it wasn’t. Now we do a combi of private school and home schooling. Home schooling is actually a pretty time intensive activity. Making / finding materials, teaching, correcting etc etc. I don’t have the time to offer full time home schooling.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

If you're in SR, check out Tree House on St. 26 for young learners - it's excellent.

They start young and you can check it out on a limited basis first (without too much of a financial commitment) to see if you're happy with it.

Don't know their post-covid opening plan.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic