Whiskey drinkers

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Whiskey drinkers

Post by atst »

chiltern wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:56 pm
atst wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:31 pm If your looking for a bargain liquor palace st 19 has this 2x1L bottles and a glass $15, seen it while walking past, good drink too
Only problem is they have that stupid plastic thingy to stop you pouring out to much , I end up dropping bits of plastic in the bottle trying dig the thing out.
Who was the rocket scientist who came up with that idea?

The plastic stopper found on Scottish Whisky was intended for the export market to prevent empty bottles being refilled with counterfeit whisky and passed of as legit. My current favourite is Berry Bros & Rudd's Isla malt blend (used to be called a vatted malt).
Not sure about that as it's pretty easy to take out, it wouldn't stop anyone refilling, I'll have a look for your favorite and try thanks
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Definitely true that. It does not stop me. Distilling and ageing your own spirits is not difficult, then I drill out the plastic thingy with a 13mm drill bit and refill those bottles.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Marty wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:18 pm Definitely true that. It does not stop me. Distilling and ageing your own spirits is not difficult, then I drill out the plastic thingy with a 13mm drill bit and refill those bottles.
Easy to do but it does alert a potential purchaser that the bottle has been tampered with. Unlike wine distilled spirits will not age in a bottle due to its high gravity and the inert glass of the bottle, spirits need to breathe during the maturation process that is why wooden casks are used.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

chiltern wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:47 pm
Marty wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:18 pm Definitely true that. It does not stop me. Distilling and ageing your own spirits is not difficult, then I drill out the plastic thingy with a 13mm drill bit and refill those bottles.
Easy to do but it does alert a potential purchaser that the bottle has been tampered with. Unlike wine distilled spirits will not age in a bottle due to its high gravity and the inert glass of the bottle, spirits need to breathe during the maturation process that is why wooden casks are used.
I've got a twin pack of johnnie walker black from the Sydney olympics 2000 in a nice carry bag , sitting in my garage, maybe I should have drunk it years ago but it looks nice in the bag and something special.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Black Label is bottled at 12 years which means that the youngest whisky in the blend must be at least 12 years old the other whisky in the blend could be even older. Whisky unlike the Mona Lisa is ment to be drunk not stared at so crack open the bottle and enjoy.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

chiltern wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:26 pm Black Label is bottled at 12 years which means that the youngest whisky in the blend must be at least 12 years old the other whisky in the blend could be even older. Whisky unlike the Mona Lisa is ment to be drunk not stared at so crack open the bottle and enjoy.

Perhaps he is a hard core alcoholic like me and he knows better than to start. Heck, I salute the guy for having so much resolve. I can't even keep that poison around the house!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Marty wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:17 pm
chiltern wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:26 pm Black Label is bottled at 12 years which means that the youngest whisky in the blend must be at least 12 years old the other whisky in the blend could be even older. Whisky unlike the Mona Lisa is ment to be drunk not stared at so crack open the bottle and enjoy.

Perhaps he is a hard core alcoholic like me and he knows better than to start. Heck, I salute the guy for having so much resolve. I can't even keep that poison around the house!
Many a times I've gone to open it,it was a gift it's more a souvenir than anything, so haven't but always thought one day I would, the whiskey would be over 38 years old now then, probably best just look at it don't drink.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Think my taste have changed, I love the taste of this
But near broke the bank at $52.

atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Another nice peat taste

On Saturday night I had a few Jamieson my favorite, not anymore didn't like it at all, funny how after a few months my idea of nice tasting whiskey changed.

Anyway so got this sweet bottle yesterday to test my taste but this is very nice, more research needed.
Moas bar I think sometime this week.

karl.timpany
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by karl.timpany »

I will drink to all us whisky drinkers... CHEERS...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic