Gang of Motorbike Thieves Busted in Sihanoukville

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Gang of Motorbike Thieves Busted in Sihanoukville

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Well done the police.

Cambodia News, Preah Sihanouk Province: Preah Sihanouk Provincial Police Commissioner Major General Chuon Narin said that nine members of a gang of motorbike thieves, including the ringleader, have been taken into custody.

First of all, on the evening of August 24, 2020, at O'Tapang village, Prey Nob district, Preah Sihanouk province, there was a theft of a black 2015 Honda C125 motorcycle by a suspect. After receiving the victim's complaint, the Criminal Police Task Force, in cooperation with the Prey Nup District Inspectorate, conducted a thorough search until they captured the thief on August 26, 2020 at 5:30 pm. This thief then led the police to search for three more suspects, who were arrested later that evening at 9:30pm.
As one thing leads to another, the suspects then told the police where to find the hideout of the ringleader of the gang, Chhin Sophanit, alias Pich Thom, in a house in the forest of Phum Thmey, located in Village 3, Sangkat 3, Sihanoukville.
Police and local authorities then organized a raid on the house at midnight on 28 August. However, when the gang members realized that they were surrounded, they ran into the forest to escape. Finally, at 8am the next morning, the ringleader Chhin Sophanit, alias Pich Thom, and the other gang members were rounded up and taken into custody.
Sihanoukville police received a number of stolen motorbikes to be returned to their lucky owners.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Gang of Motorbike Thieves Busted in Sihanoukville

Post by AndyKK »

Good news - but is she old enough to ride a moto?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:40 pm Good news - but is she old enough to ride a moto?
Yes. She is just short. I would say she is over 20.

A lot of Cambodians begin riding motor bikes around the age of ten.

There are probably not so many 10 year olds riding motor bikes in PP, or other cities where a lot of you stay. But when you get to places with less traffic, a lot of young children ride motor bikes.

I just passed a kid on a minibike. He may have been 7 or 8. He was too small to ride a regular motor bike. He was riding where people walk, not on the road. He may be the son of a police man.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

explorer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:49 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:40 pm Good news - but is she old enough to ride a moto?

There are probably not so many 10 year olds riding motor bikes in PP, or other cities where a lot of you stay. But when you get to places with less traffic, a lot of young children ride motor bikes.
The legal age recently was dropped to 17 years old to ride a moto under 125cc with also dropping the license due to it being difficult for the country folk too aquire.
So, your scenario, lets say a 14 year old in the city, no helmet coming the wrong direction, ran into you (both riding motos) who is to blame, and who is in the wrong, when the police arive and implement the law, what will be the outcome?
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:06 pm

The legal age recently was dropped to 17 years old to ride a moto under 125cc with also dropping the license due to it being difficult for the country folk too aquire.
So, your scenario, lets say a 14 year old in the city, no helmet coming the wrong direction, ran into you (both riding motos) who is to blame, and who is in the wrong, when the police arive and implement the law, what will be the outcome?
The barang is in the wrong for being there. :dragonchase: :stir:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I just passed a kid on a minibike. He may have been 7 or 8. He was too small to ride a regular motor bike. He was riding where people walk, not on the road. He may be the son of a police man.
It has got to be my age then, because she looks no older than 13 to me.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Just think back to your home country, city kids versus country kids, country kids can ride bikes as soon as they are able to ballance them,
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Photos of the gang leader's hideout:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Is PoPo handing her the keys to her moto? Did she left her keys in her moto asking for it to be stolen or just a photo op?
Kratom123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kratom123 »

Where i live theres a boy, no older than 6 rides a harley
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic