Interesting Trend...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Route66
BANNED
Great Britain

Interesting Trend...

Post by Route66 »

Been living here in PP for over a year. Mostly near Russian market area. Lately I've been looking at apartment/ condo rentals. When I contact the agent/owner/manager by email or text they ask where I'm from. Ok no problem understandable.But then they ask, and this is happening a lot, are you black. So I tell them no . Why do you ask? Covid -19 ?? ( which is what I Initially thought) .They say no .
But they flat out say we do not want black people in our building. They go on with various reasons. Do not pay, very dirty , loud , no respect for other tenats....etc..
There was a family of three in my building some time ago. The landlord threw them out because they piled up so much garbage outside their door into the hallway that they blocked the elevator,
This isn't a racist post . Just experiences Ive been seeing repeatedly.
I lived in Cambodia 5 years ago for two years then. And that never happened . Just wondering why this is becoming the norm.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Re: Interesting Trend...

Post by hairdo »

You can blame that on social stigma, cultural bias. Many Africans have been living a lifestyle, without modern amenities. Many are forced to escape their homeland, to avoid getting themselves and their family killed off. I understand why some landlords would require additional verification, in these times of conflict and need. But there is actually money to be made on Africa from abroad. I see rappers in the US catering to their homemarket, on Youtube, because they have a royal title, and so forth. So often the chicks in the video are white, huge and fat, sporting blond hair, and acting hot and horny. Because fat women are still regarded as a statussymbol there.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I wouldn't want a black tenant either. In some countries you can still say that as it is and in others you cannot, the result is the same.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

There are good and bad black people. Some are the nicest people you could ever meet. There are also a lot involved in drugs and crime. Then there are the reasons stated, that is they do not pay, very dirty, loud, no respect for other tenants....etc.. It makes it difficult for the good black people.

Some Cambodian landlords will also tell you that they like Western tenants more than Cambodian tenants too.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Back in NZ and Australia it's Indian tenants people don't want, very hard to get the curry smell out once they move out.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

explorer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:56 pm There are good and bad black people. Some are the nicest people you could ever meet. There are also a lot involved in drugs and crime. Then there are the reasons stated, that is they do not pay, very dirty, loud, no respect for other tenants....etc.. It makes it difficult for the good black people.

Isn’t that just...all people...?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Anty wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 pm
explorer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:56 pm There are good and bad black people. Some are the nicest people you could ever meet. There are also a lot involved in drugs and crime. Then there are the reasons stated, that is they do not pay, very dirty, loud, no respect for other tenants....etc.. It makes it difficult for the good black people.
In different cultures, there is a different proportion of people with various attitudes. Not just black people.

Cambodian landlords have learnt, there is a high proportion of black people in Cambodia that would not make good tenants. Those who have had black tenants, have found this out.

In some cultures, there are higher rates of crime and violence.

In some cultures, more men have less respect for women.

In some cultures, there are more scammers.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

But the colour of your skin doesn't define your culture. Just because you're black doesn't mean that you live in Africa.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

Most of the black folks here are from Africa. The few related to embassies and NGO's are often easy to spot, as their behavior is quite different from the real Africans.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Anty wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 pm

another of explorer's ridiculous over generalizations.. :facepalm:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic