Land re-distribution after the Khmer Rouge

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Land re-distribution after the Khmer Rouge

Post by explorer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:58 am It’s not just during the war. The Vietnamese came in and drove the Khmer Rouge out. And then handed the reigns over the the UN. The UN then handed it over to the Prince and Iron Man, which then turned into a power struggle.

Depending on who lost and who won, and who’s currently in power, ownership of land, houses, etc., could have changed hands many times as well. On top of that are the squatters, muddying things even more.

Once Iron Man was firmly in control did things like ownership get addressed.

Am I right? Or is it just speculation on my part?
You make it sound like it all happened quickly. The war went on for years. After years, the UN came in.

It was mostly this side continually gaining territory. Territory did not go back and forth a lot. Ownership of land did not normally go back and forth.

People only bought land in places where there was relative security. People did not normally buy land in the fighting zone.

Once the Iron Man was firmly in control, rules and laws were put in place. But people had been buying and selling land for years before that.

Even years after that, some people bought land with legal titles, and others bought land from squatters, without legal titles. Land without legal titles was normally less expensive.

If people live in a place without legal titles long enough, they become the legal owners.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

explorer wrote:You make it sound like it all happened quickly. The war went on for years. After years, the UN came in.
Once the Iron Man was firmly in control, rules and laws were put in place. But people had been buying and selling land for years before that.
Did I say that the time from Khmer Rouge to Iron Man went quickly? Decades and decades passed.

Once Iron Man came into power, not just rules and laws were put into place, but they were enforced. The controlling power is the one that puts the teeth into them.

Lots of land deals were invalidated. Depending on how much power one had in the HE government, others were upheld. The decades of land buying and selling under different regimes has left a lot of confusion to this day. All depending on the type of title and level of power of person who wants your land.

Land title is relative in Cambodia. A little better than Thailand, where multiple claims can be on a title. It isn’t like the US, where there is a title search before purchase, the validity of the land title is backed by the title company and further backed by the law.

Explorer, people might agree with you more if you don’t keep trying to attack them.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bong.kuit wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:03 pm John Bingham could give a more elaborated answer, I'm sure.
I could, but I'm finding the thread too funny to want to interfere.

Kammekor wrote:Loads of misinformation in this thread.
Some good points have been raised but it's mostly a huge pile of waffle. Enjoy. :lol:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

Thanks a lot for your input John Bingham.
We all appreciate the time you took out of your busy schedule to shed some light on this.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

New kid".....
.....Land title is relative in Cambodia. A little better than Thailand, where multiple claims can be on a title. It isn’t like the US, where there is a title search before purchase, the validity of the land title is backed by the title company and further backed by the law."
HUH?
Land titles here are fully backed at the land office and if you have a full chanote title, rather than just a nor sor 3, its backed by satellite imagery and both are registered at the land office.
I dont know anyone in 35 years that purchased land and did not do a title search or lost their land to some rich guy

Your way off to say Cambodia is better.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

You are living in Cambodia, I am only the former eternal traveller to the Kingdom of Wonder looking from afar. You have a better pulse of things than I do.

But just looking at some of the CEO News.

Land swindling scheme with the village chief and police. 1/3 of the village land bought up by them. Only discovered and prosecuted now after many years.

Tracts of forest granted to companies, indigenous people’s kicked off. Land listed as protected.

The lake in Phnom Penh, granted to another company. Lake filled in. People living around the lake kicked out. Despite mass protests, they are still homeless.

As for satellite location of property, official satellite maps show the missus’ family land as abandoned and owned by no one. The advances that are enjoyed by those in the big cities are not necessarily widely available in the countryside.

I’m glad that the laws in the Kingdom of Wonder are equally applied to all just like in the US. That the little guy is just as important as any okhna in a court of law.

Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 am
As for satellite location of property, official satellite maps show the missus’ family land as abandoned and owned by no one. The advances that are enjoyed by those in the big cities are not necessarily widely available in the countryside.

Cambodia is currently in the process of converting soft titles for land in satellite map backed up hard titles. But, every plot of land will be measured, so it's quite a labor intensive task. The incentive for the Cambodian government is better register plus the ability to tax the land owner. If the map doesn't show full details the land hasn't been measured yet and it's still soft title based.

Another incentive is the land office will try to extort some money from the land owner to receive the hard title, despite the World Bank and Asian development bank covering the costs in cooperation with the Cambodian government.

Our land has been measured about 2 years ago. The hard title is ready for collection, if we pay. I refused to pay for the hard title so far (it has already been paid for, and in exchange will come with burden to pay yearly tax).
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:50 am You are living in Cambodia, I am only the former eternal traveller to the Kingdom of Wonder looking from afar. You have a better pulse of things than I do.

But just looking at some of the CEO News.

Land swindling scheme with the village chief and police. 1/3 of the village land bought up by them. Only discovered and prosecuted now after many years.

Tracts of forest granted to companies, indigenous people’s kicked off. Land listed as protected.

The lake in Phnom Penh, granted to another company. Lake filled in. People living around the lake kicked out. Despite mass protests, they are still homeless.

I’m glad that the laws in the Kingdom of Wonder are equally applied to all just like in the US. That the little guy is just as important as any okhna in a court of law.
I live in Thailand, (but do own a few pieces of and in Cambodia thru my SO) hence reason i objected when u said Cambodia is better than thailand concerning land ownership
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

amatuertrader wrote:Thanks a lot for your input John Bingham.
We all appreciate the time you took out of your busy schedule to shed some light on this.
That's the danger with self appointed experts.
Those who actually do know stuff have neither the energy or inclination to correct, and most likely being drawn into arguing with those who actually know very little.

There are a couple of long winded self appointed 'sages' on this site, with whom when i see a thread that they are involved in I am completely turned off from participating in.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

khmerhamster wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:04 am
amatuertrader wrote:Thanks a lot for your input John Bingham.
That's the danger with self appointed experts.
Those who actually do know stuff have neither the energy or inclination to correct, and most likely being drawn into arguing with those who actually know very little.

There are a couple of long winded self appointed 'sages' on this site, with whom when i see a thread that they are involved in I am completely turned off from participating in.

So maybe you should start your own perfect forum with Bingham and only allow posters who know everything and were born knowing everything.

But then there wouldn't be much left to talk about, so maybe not such a great idea for a public forum after all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic