Land re-distribution after the Khmer Rouge

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Land re-distribution after the Khmer Rouge

Post by Bubble T »

explorer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:28 pm During the war, land was sold for very cheap prices, like a few hundred dollars....

The obvious question is, why didn't people buy a lot of land then?
Because your post is complete nonsense. Private ownership of land was illegal under the Khmer Rouge, as was use of currency. I'm sure it still happened, but it would have been informal and illegal.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s not just during the war. The Vietnamese came in and drove the Khmer Rouge out. And then handed the reigns over the the UN. The UN then handed it over to the Prince and Iron Man, which then turned into a power struggle.

Depending on who lost and who won, and who’s currently in power, ownership of land, houses, etc., could have changed hands many times as well. On top of that are the squatters, muddying things even more.

Once Iron Man was firmly in control did things like ownership get addressed.

Am I right? Or is it just speculation on my part?
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

So if private land ownership was illegal under the Khmer Rouge in 1975 I suppose that didn't change under communist Viet control in 1979.
Then in 1993 when the exiled Cambodian government returned to power and the monarchy was restored (According to Wikipedia)
I guess at that point land ownership rights were restored and survivors that owned property returned to them and exerted their pre-war rights.

And I suppose squatters started to occupy empty buildings and tried to claim ownership.

Did the government claim everything else as their own? And is now selling off bits and pieces of it to the Chinese?

What do land titles look like in Cambodia? Who is at the beginning of the title search histories?
I'm curious, thanks.
amatuertrader
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by amatuertrader »

I have heard mention of different types of titles here, maybe hard title and soft title?
What are those?

What about property taxes, do people pay those in Cambodia?
Probably if you have records of paying property taxes on land it gives you some standing with ownership rights?

Do they have property Assessors in Cambodia? Tax collectors?

When I bought some land in Thailand there was a hitch at the official transfer as the seller had to pay back taxes before he could transfer.
So I guessed they don't have tax collectors like they do in Western societies.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soyoung123 »

It's interesting on the Island interiors (Samloeum). People seem to buy land from higher-ranking Navy figures, build a shack to claim it, then sell it. But no titles as its a National Park and I would think a lot of disputes. I think they are working on titling it though as they have done on Koh Rong.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Loads of misinformation in this thread.

If you want to know about titles search for land titles on this forum. If you want to know where Cambodia is in the reform process add world bank or Asian development bank to your query.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

amatuertrader wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:57 am I have heard mention of different types of titles here, maybe hard title and soft title?
What are those?

Probably if you have records of paying property taxes on land it gives you some standing with ownership rights?

When I bought some land in Thailand there was a hitch at the official transfer as the seller had to pay back taxes before he could transfer.
Soft title is a locally issued title.
Hard title is a PP land registry issued title. (Better)
LMAP is a PP land registered GPS title. (Best)

Before that was “Pei Wey” (sp) which is from the 90s I believe, issued by a local Sangkat I would presume.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Land title, a bit of a minefield, pardon the pun, but I imagine for many that would have been an hindrance returning home. Also with no land titles and no monies, but I read something about some stashing, and also burying there loot. War in a sence is terrible, horrific in this case for defenceless people, adults and children.
I would have imagined that before the time of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, there may have been people without lands, like in other countries. But it is said one quarter of the population was lost to war and also its gendercide. Realisticly it would be probably safe to say at the end of those terrible years, there would have been enough land for all, but I suppose that would be something of generosity and compassion, and not greed of the still powerful. It makes one wonder about the aim of making people equal in the years beforehand.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

amatuertrader wrote:I have heard mention of different types of titles here, maybe hard title and soft title?
What are those?

My property has its history starting in 1993. I never knew that until I was in the process of switching from soft to hard title and got to see some old sangkat paperwork.

Yes there are property taxes but not many seem to pay. The second year in my home I went to pay and the people at the tax office looked at me surprised and said not many people voluntarily pay the yearly tax. They wait until the tax man comes knocking.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Bubble T wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:35 am
explorer wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:28 pm During the war, land was sold for very cheap prices, like a few hundred dollars....
Because your post is complete nonsense. Private ownership of land was illegal under the Khmer Rouge, as was use of currency. I'm sure it still happened, but it would have been informal and illegal.
I suggest you look into the history.

How long did it take for the Vietnamese to drive the Khmer Rouge out?

The war went on for years. During that time, certain territory was controlled by this side, and certain territory was controlled by that side. Phnom Penh was one of the first places to be controlled by this side. The war continued for years. During that time, people did everything they could to make money, including buying and selling land.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic