Fact checking Trump's speech tonight

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Fact checking Trump's speech tonight

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Fact checking Trump's speech tonight

Post by hanno »

It was hard to watch but regardless of the truth, or lack thereof, his base sucked it up. I mean, USA dealing with Coronavirus better than any European country :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Former Vice President Joe Biden appeared on MSNBC Thursday morning for a “surprise” interview with Andrea Mitchell, ahead of President Donald Trump’s anticipated speech at the Republican National Convention Thursday evening.

Here is a fact check of that interview
atkins, k
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by atkins, k »

Biden was in trouble in Wisconsin before the riots, now I dont think there is a path to victory for him that involves that state. I dont want to get political here but when they cops show up to a call involving a man beating the shit out of a women, who has warrants, a history of violence AND the responding officers know all this. Your going to jail, thats it, compliance is mandatory. We cant be letting these guys brawl with cops then getting into a weapon (his car) or going for a gun / knife. Holding these felons up as examples of police brutality is pushing moderates towards the middle. I have seen people first hand say "I dont like Trump, I hate the way he talks, but I am not going to vote for Democrats when their entire platform is to call every white person racist constantly." These riots aren't going to stop anytime soon, thats your new normal.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Fact checking Trump is pretty much a waste of time, as he's guaranteed to spew lies whenever his lips are moving (or his fat fingers covfefe a tweet).
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Alex wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:45 pm Fact checking Trump is pretty much a waste of time, as he's guaranteed to spew lies whenever his lips are moving (or his fat fingers covfefe a tweet).
Perhaps you would care to comment on individual "fact checks" from the Joe Biden interview and how those fact checks are wrong.

Also, and this is a direct question to you personally.

Do you think Joe Biden should debate Donald Trump?

If your answer is "no" please explain why, in your opinion, he shouldn't.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Alex wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:45 pm Fact checking Trump is pretty much a waste of time, as he's guaranteed to spew lies whenever his lips are moving (or his fat fingers covfefe a tweet).
Perhaps you would care to comment on individual "fact checks" from the Joe Biden interview and how those fact checks are wrong.

Also, and this is a direct question to you personally.

Do you think Joe Biden should debate Donald Trump?

If your answer is "no" please explain why, in your opinion, he shouldn't.
I'll keep it short and sweet by jumping straight to the second part. Of course they should have a debate. Just as Trump should release his tax returns. It's things presidential candidates are expected to do.
atkins, k
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by atkins, k »

Alex wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:06 pm
IraHayes wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:52 pm

I'll keep it short and sweet by jumping straight to the second part. Of course they should have a debate. Just as Trump should release his tax returns. It's things presidential candidates are expected to do.
If there were something, ANYTHING in his tax returns that was in any way shape or form slightly criminal, it would have been leaked already. They guy used loop holes available to him to pay as little as possible, and doesnt want that to be shown. But what does it change if he releases them or not? No one is going to suddenly vote for him because he released some documents from a decade ago that the common man wont be able to decipher. This is truly at this time a dead horse, get over it.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

IraHayes wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:52 pm Do you think Joe Biden should debate Donald Trump?
Biden/Trump debates will be comedy gold. Looking forward!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It was on the TV while I was in the gym. I wouldn't ordinarily lower myself to such a level but it was right in front of me so, captive audience I guess.

I just felt ashamed for the human race if I'm honest. If I could sum it up in one word, pantomime. Pure pantomime, and the fact that so many people fall for it is nothing short of cringeworthy.

Much of what I think about American politics could also be applied to many democratic political systems around the world, but America seems to take it to a whole new level. The same old narrative gets trotted out election after election...how 'this is the most important election ever' and 'the opposition want to destroy you / your family / this country, and I'm the only one who can save you'.

Every good pantomime needs a villain so we can all shout 'He's behind you!' and nothing creates villains like a good election. Villains aren't just people who have an alternative opinion as to how society should work, they are witches and wizards, all gathered around their cauldron, plotting against everyone to bring them down, and there is only one hero that can banish them back to the shadows from whence they came. If only we'd give him the chance.

And as with all pantomimes, what you see when you watch it is just an illusion. A magical illusion, designed to entertain, enthral and make you feel as if you're part of the story, but its what goes on behind the curtain that really counts. However, that curtain is there for a reason. Most of us are not allowed to even take a peek backstage because if we did, the illusion would be shattered and people would want to know how it all REALLY works.

I'm not claiming to know how it all really works, not many of us do, but I know for sure that what's presented to us is a far cry from the reality.

Real power comes from money.

Not votes.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic