All Schools to Reopen on 7 September 2020

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: All Schools to Reopen on 7 September 2020

Post by samrong01 »

I know the document I posted is related to government schools. Private schools are of no interest to me. If there is an additional document with guidelines then I have not seen it but from comments it seems its related to private schools. I suspect the strict regulations might be specifically for private schools probably so that money can be extracted from them. I doubt that government schools will adhere to anything all that strict but I hope they will do the temperature checks which I think would be good in the long term for all kinds of diseases.
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

i was euphoric when I saw the lead article of this thread on Wednesday morning, but was shocked when the owner of our school told me it was not possibly true. I have subsequently researched the matter in detail and I believe I have a clear picture of what actually happened. Most of it is fact, but some of it is speculation, so I would be happy to be proven wrong.
On Monday, the Ministry announced that the first stage of school reopening had been a success, with no problems encountered. I wrote in a previous post that our school, one of the original 20 chosen, had decided not to reopen in August as the conditions attached were impossible to fulfill.I also heard that many of the other schools would not reopen for the same reason. I have checked the matter and found that at least 6 of the 20 schools did reopen in August-probably more.
The meeting on Wednesday appears to have been conducted by the Ministry Spokesperson, not the Minister. The photo above is a file photo-not taken on the day. The main announcement was what is shown above; that Kindergarten and Primary Schools in the 4 Northern Provinces would be allowed to reopen on September 7th.I understand that Yr. 9 and 12 Secondary classes in government schools will also reopen on that date.
Evidence leads me to believe the Spokesperson then said they had moved from Stage 1 to Stage 2 of their reopening plan and had hastened the process by also opening the provincial schools. He also apparently referred to their ultimate aim,Stage 3, the reopening of all Cambodian schools-Government and private. This programme was first announced by the Minister, Dr. Hang, in June. First stage was to be 15 elite private schools, later changed to 20. Second stage was all remaining private schools would reopen. The final stage was the opening of all government schools. He was apparently asked about the situation with remaining private schools and replied that a statement would be made the next day, Thursday, after a meeting with those schools.
The Thursday edition of the Phnom Penh Post announced that all schools, government and private, had been given permission to reopen on September 7th. The lead article above seems to have copied the PPP story. How reliable? Draw your own conclusions. Thursday's Khmer Times stated that all Kindergarten and Primary schools would reopen on that date, which contradicts the PPP story. Who is telling the truth? Did they both misinterpret what was stated at the meeting? The online Cambodia Daily copied the Khmer Times story..
Today's editions of all 3 newspapers did not correct or even mention yesterday's news. The Ministry announced that all private schools now have permission to reopen, but no set date was made. They have to sign an agreement to abide by the conditions set, which appear to have been modified from those presented to the original 20 schools. One could assume that by including the provincial government schools in Stage 2. they are opening the way for a fairly rapid transition into Stage 3.
This is simply an analysis of all Secondary sources available, including the Ministry's website, which, when I last looked, only mentions the schools opening in the provinces-not a general reopening. I have not spoken with anyone who was present at Wednesday's meeting. I am quite happy to be corrected by someone who was actually present.
simon.sayed
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by simon.sayed »

All private schools 'can' open on September 7th. however there is a long list of guidelines, an SOP as MoEYS is calling it, with a lot of stringent requirements. Can bore you with the 12 page list in Khmer.

1, Schools apply online.
2. If online application is allowed, paperwork related to SOP must be filed
3. If Paperwork is agreed, an inspection from both the MoH and MoEYS is arranged
4. If school passes inspection, then can reopen, but spot checks can be made at anytime
5. Maybe some money (cannot confirm)

Any small school or schools with unsuitable buildings will probably not be allowed to open (which in a way isn't a bad thing, seeing how there are so many death traps operating out of houses and knocked together borey blocks around the place).

I was told I was wrong before, but Phase 2 obviously means schools like Western, Westline, ELT etc. Phase 3 will be the shitty places and won't be opened for a few months to come.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

simon.sayed wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:00 pm All private schools 'can' open on September 7th. however there is a long list of guidelines, an SOP as MoEYS is calling it, with a lot of stringent requirements. Can bore you with the 12 page list in Khmer.

1, Schools apply online.
2. If online application is allowed, paperwork related to SOP must be filed
3. If Paperwork is agreed, an inspection from both the MoH and MoEYS is arranged
4. If school passes inspection, then can reopen, but spot checks can be made at anytime
5. Maybe some money (cannot confirm)

Any small school or schools with unsuitable buildings will probably not be allowed to open (which in a way isn't a bad thing, seeing how there are so many death traps operating out of houses and knocked together borey blocks around the place).

I was told I was wrong before, but Phase 2 obviously means schools like Western, Westline, ELT etc. Phase 3 will be the shitty places and won't be opened for a few months to come.
Plus details of every student and teacher have to be provided to moeys
The school has to survey the parents to get numbers of who want to return
Students are to do 2 days at school 3 days online
Staggered breaks, start times and finish times
1.5m distancing for all students during break times
Photos and dimensions of every classroom
Temp. No lower than 24 degrees in classrooms
The list goes on

As such on thursdays meeting the schools did not agree the proposals. They are amending the proposals and meeting again on monday.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Soriya wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:23 am
Staggered breaks, start times and finish times

The list goes on

As such on thursdays meeting the schools did not agree the proposals. They are amending the proposals and meeting again on monday.
Of the few requirements posted this one immediately sticks out as showing the ineptitude of those in power and their utter incompetence and obvious refusal to consult with schools when they drew up the requirements.

It would be almost impossible to comply with for 99% of schools.... It is the sort of thing that, while it looks good on paper, you would only put it down knowing that they would demand that it be removed and then you could remove it to appear agreeable to a compromise.
Now, if that is the case, then hats off to them but you know that isn't the case.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

I just had further confirmation today from the school that government schools will open on 7 September BUT children will only attend school for 2 days a week. This I guess is their solution to having 20 or less children per class without having more teachers.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

September 4, 2020
ACE Approved to Re-open Campuses by Education Ministry

The Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport has officially given approval for the Australian Centre for Education (ACE) to re-open, welcoming students back to campuses and strictly adhering to the Ministry’s standard operating procedures (SOP). Approval came after an on-campus assessment by health experts from the Health Ministry’s Centre for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organisation (WHO), and an inspection led by the Minister of Education, Youth and Sport (MoEYS).
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50760776/a ... -ministry/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

41 seconds ago - BREAKING NEWS
Schools across Cambodia reopen
Schools across Cambodia opened for students today, following the green light from the Ministry of Education after six months of closures to curb the spread of COVID-19.

According to the ministry, the second phase of reopening the schools allows only for grade nine and grade 12 students to open, and each classroom must adhere to strict health measures.

However, four provinces including Kratie, Stung Treng, Ratanakiri, and Mondulkiri (only schools in the provincial town) were authorised to resume all class levels from kindergarten up to high school as these provinces have been assessed as having a low risk of COVID-19 infection.

Ros Soveacha, a spokesman of the ministry said today that each school must follow the health measures set by the Ministry of Health and the WHO.
Each classroom must adhere to the Ministry’s guidelines, with a maximum of 20 students per class being seated at least two metres apart.

“Before entering the school, students are required to take a temperature test, wash their hands, and wear facemasks,” he added. Soveacha also said that about 300 private schools will reopen. “If these schools fail to comply with ministry safety measures, then they will be warned or shut down temporarily,” he added.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50761521/s ... ia-reopen/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

The kids who live around the apartments where I live may have gone to school yesterday, but today they have certainly not. It could be possible that they went this morning, but with all the running around they do, may have shown sign of a temperature and got sent back home.
How is it I ask my partner why they are always playing at the front of my apartment, and they are the most noisemakers you could imagine. The answer is easy, the parents don't want them outside there own apartments. I actually feel sorry for them because they don't actually play, unless you would call hurting one another when each gets the chance, they seem to like who can make the other cry the loudest. It just seems boardum to me.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:39 pm The kids who live around the apartments where I live may have gone to school yesterday, but today they have certainly not. It could be possible that they went this morning, but with all the running around they do, may have shown sign of a temperature and got sent back home.
How is it I ask my partner why they are always playing at the front of my apartment, and they are the most noisemakers you could imagine. The answer is easy, the parents don't want them outside there own apartments. I actually feel sorry for them because they don't actually play, unless you would call hurting one another when each gets the chance, they seem to like who can make the other cry the loudest. It just seems boardum to me.
Could be something to do with them only allowed to return 2 days a week at the mo. The rest is online still
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic