All Schools to Reopen on 7 September 2020

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: All Schools to Reopen on 7 September 2020

Post by Soriya »

Josideb wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:37 am Meeting was only yesterday and the guidelines havent been agreed upon. Another meeting is being held next week. So not sure how your stepdaughters school are so confident they can open when things havent yet been confirmed.
Correct
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:16 am I have reviewed the official government announcement with a khmer friend and confirmed that it clearly states that it applies to government schools in all of Cambodia. Of course this does not mean they will not change their minds but I would rely more on an official written announcement than the statement of an official.

Children will not be required to wear masks but will be temperature checked on arrival. This is not such a bad idea as it prevents children with any infectious disease from entering. It has been done in Singapore for years.
There is supposed to be spacing in classroom but how they will get enough teachers to have class sizes of 15-20 students is not clear. The spacing is clearly ridiculous as there are no restrictions on children during playtime. I suspect the spacing will not be enforced.

The official government announcement can be found here:
Apparently its a 40 page document. So that clearly isnt everything.
From what i have been told, its very strict guidelines that will prevent a lot of schools being able to work to it
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Its a 15 page document and its all there.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:23 am Its a 15 page document and its all there.
The meeting was yesterday.
I think what you have was proposals.
The guidelines where issued yesterday
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:23 am Its a 15 page document and its all there.
The meeting was yesterday, maybe they are the proposals,

Guidelines where issued yesterday, with a follow up meeting on monday next week.
nathaniel.killick
Tourist
Australia

Post by nathaniel.killick »

Its a 41 page document. Ive read it.

Some pretty big requirements, which is why its not been agreed upon. If it stays the way it is now, not many schools could open.
Josideb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Josideb »

What you have posted is for the public schools reopening not private. Big difference.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Josideb wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:37 am Meeting was only yesterday and the guidelines havent been agreed upon. Another meeting is being held next week. So not sure how your stepdaughters school are so confident they can open when things havent yet been confirmed.
That, in a nutshell, defines the KOW. Well done, sir!
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

nathaniel.killick wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Its a 41 page document. Ive read it.

Some pretty big requirements, which is why its not been agreed upon. If it stays the way it is now, not many schools could open.
C'mon, guys, no need to bicker. Ain't nothing gonna matter anyways, whether the schools know the requirements of the guidelines or not. This is Cambodia.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Cambodians don't plan ahead. They don't need to know until a short time before schools open.

During previous years, when students were on school holidays, I asked some of them when they go back to school. They said they had not been told yet.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic