Phnom Penh Street Food; What's Hot and What's Not ?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Phnom Penh Street Food; What's Hot and What's Not ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

August 25, 2020
Postcard From Phnom Penh: Getting Out for Curry Puffs
By: Maryam Jillani
Like most Muslims across the world, Chams, a predominantly Muslim ethnic community residing throughout Cambodia, had a sober Ramadan this year. The mosques were closed, following government restrictions on religious gatherings in the country due to the pandemic. The markets, however, were still open. “The Chrang Chamres market is busy right now,” my friend Sayana told me at the start of the monthlong observation. “It’s always very festive during Ramadan!” Sayana, part Cham, part Javanese, lives close to the market in the broader Chrang Chamres neighborhood, about 30 minutes north of the center of Phnom Penh. The market has a lively mix of Cham and ethnic Cambodian vendors selling fresh produce and traditional Cham and Cambodian snacks.

I had met Sayana earlier this year, when we participated in a cooking demo together with the US ambassador to Cambodia in celebration of the holy month. Since this was the first time we were both cooking in front of a camera, Sayana and I were exchanging a series of nervous emails in the lead up to our meeting. When Sayana and I finally met, she made a strong pitch to come to the market. “It has the most food stalls this time of year,” she emphasized. Back then, there was still deep uncertainty about the prevalence of COVID-19 in the country. I hesitated and told her I would be back in touch after Eid (marking the end of the holiday). Once the number of the country’s active cases fell to zero, I reached back out and told Sayana I was ready.

June was the start of rainy season in Cambodia, and she picked me up in a tuk-tuk on a windy afternoon. “It’s not as busy, but you’ll get a good idea,” she told me as we drove north of the city. By the time we reached Chrang Chamres, it had begun to drizzle. We clumsily huddled underneath an umbrella with masks on, and then began the tour. Dodging puddles and motos on the crowded street, she first took me to have num sarch. It’s the Cambodian version of samosas, I thought, as I bit into a hefty curry puff packed with vermicelli noodles and ground chicken.
https://www.tastecooking.com/postcard-f ... rry-puffs/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram