56Yo British Backpacker ANDREW HODGES Says He's Trapped in Cambodia Due to 2018 Spiderbite Injury

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
jjy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 56Yo British Backpacker ANDREW HODGES Says He's Trapped in Cambodia Due to 2018 Spiderbite Injury

Post by jjy »

Thank you I've seen those.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 56Yo British Backpacker ANDREW HODGES Says He's Trapped in Cambodia Due to 2018 Spiderbite Injury

Post by Soriya »

jah steu wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:16 pm
jjy wrote:Because they are human and want to help!
The BBC’s operating charter does not include helping individuals with problems on the other side of the world.
They just want to boost their viewing figures with a ‘sensational’ story that will no doubt show Cambodia in a bad light, rather than pointing out that this person was ill-prepared for his travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ill prepared or not cambodia will always be shown in a bad light.
Its not exactly heaven on earth.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

jjy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 pm Thank you I've seen those.
Will you help all of them?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

jjy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:21 pm you are still vile. I am only trying to help. You seem to think this is a laugh.
At no point have I made a joke, or made light of the situation, or had a laugh at the poor soul’s expense. Or yours, for that matter. Your supposition to know what I seem to be thinking is, however, laughable. Perhaps try being a little less sensitive and open your eyes to something that might not be all that it seems.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

jjy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:26 pm Why are you so vile? I'm only trying to help this man.
May I ask a simple question. How are you going to help this person, or any other in the situation they now find themselves in?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:20 am
jjy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:26 pm Why are you so vile? I'm only trying to help this man.
May I ask a simple question. How are you going to help this person, or any other in the situation they now find themselves in?
Let’s help with the maths. The guy has asked for approximately $10,000 on his GoFundMe.

He openly admits an 8 month over-stay, so broadly speaking, $2,500 fine. Let’s be generous and say he needs $2,500 for an air-fare back to the UK.

He has also openly said that he has self-medicated and spent most (not all) of his money on doctors and medicinal expenses. He “had” medical insurance at the time of his first admission to hospital but only stayed 4 days because he didn’t want to lose his leg. (What happened to the medical insurance??)

What does he need a further $5,000 for?

The bite was early 2018. What has he been doing for in excess of two years? Could easily have returned home in that time.

Stranded? In the strictest sense of the word, perhaps. British Embassy being useless? Possibly, but it’s not their job to take care of people like him in the situation he finds himself.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

If you need 5000 on go fund me you ask for at least 10000 as for the rest well you are probably right. However since there is basically zero trade between Cambodia and the UK, I am pretty sure that the main function of the UK embassy is not having any function at all.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Was the spider named Boris by any chance ? if so you won't get fooled again unless it is a substitute ;)
ydna
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by ydna »

jjy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:57 pm Thank you! Just a FB contact or phone etc. I can probably get the story some traction in the UK.
I am told you would like to talk to Andrew Hodges.
ydna
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by ydna »

jjy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:34 pm Thank you I've seen those.
The email for Andrew is [email protected].
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic