56Yo British Backpacker ANDREW HODGES Says He's Trapped in Cambodia Due to 2018 Spiderbite Injury

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 56Yo British Backpacker ANDREW HODGES Says He's Trapped in Cambodia Due to 2018 Spiderbite Injury

Post by techietraveller84 »

Whatever it was, I'm going to have to think twice about a move to Cambodia. That leg is gnarly. What kind of spider would it have been, if it was even a spider?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: 56Yo British Backpacker ANDREW HODGES Says He's Trapped in Cambodia Due to 2018 Spiderbite Injury

Post by Kuroneko »

techietraveller84 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:08 am Whatever it was, I'm going to have to think twice about a move to Cambodia. That leg is gnarly. What kind of spider would it have been, if it was even a spider?
Brown recluse spiders can cause necrotising fasciitis but I am unaware of them living in Cambodia. There are other spiders that can cause this eg false widow spider.

Treating a necrotic spider bite:
Once an infection is suspected, intravenous antibiotics must be administered to kill off the bacteria. The necrotic tissue must also be surgically cut away. A sample can be sent to the laboratory for testing, and this will confirm necrotising fasciitis. Further treatment can then be given accordingly. This might involve more surgical debridement, organ support or skin grafts.

This treatment is needed on an emergency basis or the tissue death could be severe. Indeed, the woman who was bitten by a false widow spider lost her finger. Others have lost entire limbs. Some will become critically unwell with multi-system organ failure. https://www.glynns.co.uk/necrotising-fa ... spider.php

As a mater of interest It appears he was at Siem Reap referral hospital from Daily Mail photos.

A report from the Khmer Times 20th May 2020
Siem Reap referral hospital undergoes inspection
Civil Service minister Prum Sokha along with officials of the Public Service Evaluation Unit launched an inspection to monitor the situation and performance of all stakeholders of Siem Reap Referral Hospital.

This report appears to be unavailable now https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50728563/s ... nspection/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I remember a story of an English girl here who got a spider bite. What started as a small red lump quickly descended into a full blown emergency, eventually with her getting back to England and having here leg saved - just. Moral of the story - any new red swollen painful lumps on you body need to be quickly put in front of a (real) doctor quickly. Time is of the essence with toxic bites.
jjy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by jjy »

I am trying to get hold of Andrew as the BBC UK wand to follow his story. Could anyone please give me a contact for him please?
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

jjy wrote:I am trying to get hold of Andrew as the BBC UK wand to follow his story. Could anyone please give me a contact for him please?
Why would the British Broadcasting Corporation want to follow the story of an individual visa-overstayer who had no travel or health insurance and who is now relying on pity to try to persuade others to fund his return to the UK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
jjy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by jjy »

Because they are human and want to help!
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

56Yo British Backpacker ANDREW HODGES Says He's Trapped in Cambodia Due to 2018 Spiderbite Injury

Post by jah steu »

jjy wrote:Because they are human and want to help!
The BBC’s operating charter does not include helping individuals with problems on the other side of the world.
They just want to boost their viewing figures with a ‘sensational’ story that will no doubt show Cambodia in a bad light, rather than pointing out that this person was ill-prepared for his travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
jjy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by jjy »

You obviously have a heart of gold!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:53 am I remember a story of an English girl here who got a spider bite. What started as a small red lump quickly descended into a full blown emergency, eventually with her getting back to England and having here leg saved - just. Moral of the story - any new red swollen painful lumps on you body need to be quickly put in front of a (real) doctor quickly. Time is of the essence with toxic bites.
Did you hear this from a third party, or is it just a story that floats around?

Heard similar myself, always assumed it was a shaggy dog story.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic