What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

Post by explorer »

Most of us grew up in another country, and learnt most of what we know before coming to Cambodia. But we can always learn something new. What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do? Following are examples of things I have learnt.

When a vehicle breaks down on a road, Cambodians often break a branch off a tree or bush, and put it on the road before the broken down vehicle. This warns other motorists to slow down. In Australia, trucks often carry reflectors for this purpose, but cars normally don't. If I am in Australia, and come across an accident or broken down vehicle, particularly if it is around a bend or over a hill, I will probably break a branch off a tree or bush, and put it on the road so other motorists slow down.

One Cambodian man has an ant barrier, so ants don't get on his table. He has tied a small piece of cloth around each leg, and puts ordinary engine oil on the cloth. The ants wont cross it. It is a clever way to stop ants.

I would like to teach Australians the benefits of family members supporting each other, but I don't think I will get very far with that.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

Post by Username Taken »

Something that I learned in Cambodia, but not necessarily from a Khmer.
When you cut yourself and you're bleeding but don't have any first aid stuff, or bandages, or doctor nearby, you can stop the bleeding by applying fresh ash from a fire. For small cuts, cigarette ash will do. I have used this method successfully several times now.
Some people will say 'Oh yuck but it's dirty'. The freshly burnt ash is sterile because it's just been burnt.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

How to knot the top of a plastic bag so that it won't come undone but can still be opened just by pulling on one bit. Never saw anyone back home ever do it.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

A very good question....

Nothing in almost three years, that i didn't learn before in Indonesia.

So, nothing specific to Cambodia, except things i saw here that i WON'T do, because they were wrong, one way or another.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

I became an expert in corruption.

I started appreciating dogs over cats.

I realized a lot of stuff I considered a necessity of life back home actually aren't.

I knew decent education was very important, now I realize that even more.

I learned a new language.

I learned dealing with constant heat. Dealing with extreme downpours. Dealing with the sunlight. It always amazes me when I'm with a newbie, I automatically look for shade, they for sun.

I learned you have to take care of yourself, because there are times nobody will cover your ass.

I learned how to cheers, and how to position my glass compared to person i cheers with. I learned to cheers a hundred times during a party, instead of just once or twice
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Putting ice in my beer
Ignoring road accidents don't get involved ( feel bad about this one)
If you add enough chilly and garlic you can eat anything
Doesn't matter if music is statically as long as it's loud
You don't need TV
I actually injoy riding on the roads here yes many fuckwits but relax wobble your head, laugh to yourself and carry on, no road rage , Aussies need to relax on the roads alot more .
Last edited by atst on Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Tipping is part of daily life activity...
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

To think hard prior to complaining as there is someone much worse off than me in sight.
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

How to abandon toilet paper.
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

ssian wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:42 pm Tipping is part of daily life activity...
Not in Cambodia I know
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic