What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

Post by Kuroneko »

cautious colin wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:39 am
whatwat wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:16 am It’s a little irritating when westerners do the samphor (Sp) to other westerners. Cultural appropriation at its worse.
Apart from being no such thing as cultural appropration i disagree.
There is such a "thing" as Cultural Appropriation:

Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation,[1][2][3] is the adoption of an element or elements of one culture or identity by members of another culture or identity. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.[4][1][2]

According to critics of the practice, cultural appropriation differs from acculturation, assimilation, or equal cultural exchange in that this appropriation is a form of colonialism. When cultural elements are copied from a minority culture by members of a dominant culture, these elements are used outside of their original cultural context—sometimes even against the expressly stated wishes of members of the originating culture.[2][5][6][7][8][9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation,[1][2][3] is the adoption of an element or elements of one culture or identity by members of another culture or identity. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If anyone gets offended by that, it's their problem. If I see something in other cultures that I like, I have no qualms to make it mine if it suits me. And neither should anyone else.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am
whatwat wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:16 am It’s a little irritating when westerners do the samphor (Sp) to other westerners. Cultural appropriation at its worse.

Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation,[1][2][3] is the adoption of an element or elements of one culture or identity by members of another culture or identity. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.[4][1][2]

According to critics of the practice, cultural appropriation differs from acculturation, assimilation, or equal cultural exchange in that this appropriation is a form of colonialism. When cultural elements are copied from a minority culture by members of a dominant culture, these elements are used outside of their original cultural context—sometimes even against the expressly stated wishes of members of the originating culture.[2][5][6][7][8][9] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_appropriation
Thanks for that. I know what it "is" but I think it is just a ridiculous term.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am

Adoption of certain elements from another culture, are crushed here -

https://gallagher-photo.com/environment ... ning-film/

Worthy of it's own thread.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am this appropriation is a form of colonialism.
lol
the rest of the world can stop wearing trousers, suits, t-shirts, etc right now
i feel colonised

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

C'mon, learning how to be polite or adapting to local customs is not "cultural appropriation". Cambodians might laugh at you, but they don't get "offended". That is a western concept. They might think you're a bit weird but who cares.

You can wear a krama at home or in the village. Trying to be funny is ok too. Nobody in Cambodia is going to be offended when you say "Joy Mouy" or something equivalent. :beer3:
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

In covid times knowing whether to shake hands can be tricky, and surely its better than the ridiculous elbow bump bollocks?
I disagree with your post.

Apart from the fact it was a question about Cambodia not about awkward expats.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:
Kuroneko wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:57 am Cultural appropriation, at times also phrased cultural misappropriation,[1][2][3] is the adoption of an element or elements of one culture or identity by members of another culture or identity. This can be controversial when members of a dominant culture appropriate from disadvantaged minority cultures.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If anyone gets offended by that, it's their problem. If I see something in other cultures that I like, I have no qualms to make it mine if it suits me. And neither should anyone else.
Just like the Romans adopting Greek culture and spreading it across the known world? To the betterment of western civilization?

Or the French, building the Silver Palace out of the perceived best elements of Khmer civilization for the Cambodian monarchy?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i thought cultural appropriation was only used when black people got angry at white people for wearing dreadlocks in their hair... its the only time ive seen people using the term and being "offended"
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:42 pm C'mon, learning how to be polite or adapting to local customs is not "cultural appropriation". Cambodians might laugh at you, but they don't get "offended". That is a western concept. They might think you're a bit weird but who cares.

You can wear a krama at home or in the village. Trying to be funny is ok too. Nobody in Cambodia is going to be offended when you say "Joy Mouy" or something equivalent. :beer3:
Totally agree however westerners doing it to other westerners is just naff.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic