What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

Post by xandreu »

That all computer problems can be fixed by right-clicking the desktop and repeatedly clicking 'refresh'.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Started saying 'I know, I know' ...
Use real a lot more than US$s.....
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Repeat myself instead of saying I'm ok now it's happy happy
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

atst wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:36 pm I actually injoy riding on the roads here yes many fuckwits but relax wobble your head, laugh to yourself and carry on, no road rage , Aussies need to relax on the roads alot more
^^this one. People here actually use their peripheral vision. Gently nudge your way through but don't be arrogant. To n00bs the traffic looks like chaos but it's actually pretty orderly. Just let it go when people push on through that light just just turned red. We'll all get there eventually.

I only ride a bicycle, but the "parasite manoeuvre" (where you slide alongside a bigger vehicle to get across an intersection) and the safety-in-numbers approach are particularly useful.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Soriya wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:34 pm Check my change and refuse damaged dollars in any way, shape or form.
This is an interesting point. Since returning to my home country last year, I've been using contactless payments for the first time ever in shops. I'm always suspicious that the teller would input the wrong amount and if I just wave my card without checking, I'll be scammed! This never happens, its just me being extra cautious from my years in Cambodia 😂
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

For over four years I have slept on the floor, it's luxury when I get to go traveling, hotel rooms have beds.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:18 pm For over four years I have slept on the floor, it's luxury when I get to go traveling, hotel rooms have beds.
Jail ?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

sniff kissing... ive done it to a few English birds by accident before, they get a bit freaked out haha
the lip point... i ask the lads at work to pass me something and they think im blowing kisses at them
the urge to cheers every time i take a drink of my beer
when eating chicken, nothing gets wasted, even the gristle lol
i prefer my eggs with a fetus inside
giving and receiving things with 2 hands (or a gesture of two hands)
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

It’s a little irritating when westerners do the samphor (Sp) to other westerners. Cultural appropriation at its worse.

I was in Singapore and bought some stuff and automatically said “Arkun”. The woman looked at me smiled and said to my wife “How did he know I was Cambodian! Are you Cambodian. What province?”

Anyway. They chatted for a while. She owned the shop husband was an immigrant in the 70s.

My point is I said it more than once. Can’t help it.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

whatwat wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:16 am It’s a little irritating when westerners do the samphor (Sp) to other westerners. Cultural appropriation at its worse.
Apart from being no such thing as cultural appropration i disagree.

In covid times knowing whether to shake hands can be tricky, and surely its better than the ridiculous elbow bump bollocks?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic