What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What have you learnt from Cambodians that you do?

Post by talltuktuk »

Squatting instead of sitting in a chair. Especially handy if I’m working on something close to the ground.

The bum gun. Can’t believe it took me so many years to discover this, but as an American it’s just not something we’re exposed to. TP seems so primitive now.

Sharing. Bringing fruit/snacks to a social gathering and sharing them and encouraging friends to participate instead of obsessing about personal property as we were raised to do.

Language. Learning some Khmer gave me invaluable interactions with people I never would have imagined. Riding my moto to some remote village hours away from civilization that rarely saw barang and talking to a local in their language. These are still some of the most valuable parts of my journey.

Humility/simplicity. All the “stuff” and material nonsense and status that we were raised to glorify/crave doesn’t really matter. Life can be enjoyed on a much simpler and humbler level.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

talltuktuk wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:43 pm Language. Learning some Khmer gave me invaluable interactions with people I never would have imagined. Riding my moto to some remote village hours away from civilization that rarely saw barang and talking to a local in their language. These are still some of the most valuable parts of my journey.
When you become the attraction, you are in an interesting place. In some villages, a lot of children, and sometimes adults, come to check me out. Those villages have had less foreign influence, and they live largely like they have for years. I find them interesting, and they help with understanding Cambodians.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Check my change and refuse damaged dollars in any way, shape or form.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Learning that garbage is beautiful, intestinal parasites are normal, and saving huge amounts of time daily by not washing my hands after using the toilet (possibly offset by time lost by sh*tting my guts out later). But I’m sure it’s a win overall.
Oh yeah, and Face, learning that you are wrong for calling someone out if they steal from you.
up to you...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

whatwat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:52 pm
Ghostwriter wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:46 pm Nobody mentions the language ?
Mandarin?
Don't be an arsehole an bring up the Chinese
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
bong.kuit
Expatriate

Post by bong.kuit »

Pointing with my mouth and giving an encouraging grunt instead of saying yes.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

That "soon" is a relative term. "Coming soon" ... :tumbleweed:
I have learnt patience. Whatever or whoever usually turn up in the end. Or not.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Pointing with your lips - especially handy when your hands are full.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:21 pm Something that I learned in Cambodia, but not necessarily from a Khmer.
When you cut yourself and you're bleeding but don't have any first aid stuff, or bandages, or doctor nearby, you can stop the bleeding by applying fresh ash from a fire. For small cuts, cigarette ash will do. I have used this method successfully several times now.
Some people will say 'Oh yuck but it's dirty'. The freshly burnt ash is sterile because it's just been burnt.
I just had to look this up, and it seems to be a thing. Researchers tried it out on rabbits, with ashes from three sources: dried buffalo dung, wood, and charcoal. Who knew?
http://www.imj.com.pk/wp-content/upload ... 13-OA2.pdf
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

All learnt from my gf and never worried about in thailand

Never leave door or windows unlocked at home
Never leave keys in car
Always count my change
Always check prices at supermarket at checkout
Never leave bottle open at table if i leave
Never ride motorcycle without helmet
Never trust locals directions up country if the place i am inquiring about is more than 20 kms away

other than that, Nothing else... as all the above things mentioned i knew
But i am ahead of the game as did not move from a western county to Cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic