"No Money" Russian Traveler Arrested for Begging in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

"No Money" Russian Traveler Arrested for Begging in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On August 21, 2020, a 36-year-old man, VLACHESLAV NIKITIN, was arrested begging money on the street and had no passport, in front of house no. 390, Mao Tse Toun boulevard, in Khan Beung Keng Kong, Phnom Penh.

The Russian man came to Cambodia through the Vietnam border, a week before the border closed. He carried a sign asking for money, which was written in Khmer and Chinese and said " I travel around the world without money. Please help me with my journey".
The foreign man was sent to the General Department to follow the legal action.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: "No Money" Russian Traveler Arrested for Begging in Phnom Penh

Post by hanno »

Good. I wished they’d deport all of the “no money but want to travel” crowd.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

hanno wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm Good. I wished they’d deport all of the “no money but want to travel” crowd.
I'm all for having to prove you have some $ before ur admitted to any border ....anywhere.
say $500
or a note from ur mommy :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:17 pm He carried a sign asking for money, which was written in Khmer and Chinese and said " I travel around the world without money. Please help me with my journey".
That is a dumb thing to say if you want people to give you money. Possibly he does not understand what is written. Maybe others set him up.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

There's a barang who goes up and down Riverside every day begging from Khmer. When they don't give him money, he shows his displeasure by changing his smile to a snarl and jerking his head away.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I saw a blonde Jesus with gold painted combat boots bloused in OD military trousers and combat camo shirt.
He wore a gold tiara with miniature golden arrows studding the headgear.
St 19, just off 172.
He was giving the sompeah in front of businesses and holding out a gold tinpot combat helmet for alms.
Quite a sight.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:30 pm There's a barang who goes up and down Riverside every day begging from Khmer. When they don't give him money, he shows his displeasure by changing his smile to a snarl and jerking his head away.
It sounds like some kind of act or pantomime, a little like a rabid dog snapping around the next meal, maybe a barang should wait at the other end and tip him for the good show and he can divulge in a few good earned beers.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I saw him a few days ago. He would wait for the lights to turn red then step out into the middle of the road in front of the waiting vehicles with his sign. I thought it was very apt that he was doing it along Mao Tse Toun boulevard, as it reminded me of the defiant protester standing in front of the tanks during the Tiananmen square protests.

Glad he's been picked up and removed. Never a good look for the rest of us barangs.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

Saw a blond haired woman 2 weeks ago in that same area carrying a very similar looking sign. I stopped at some traffic lights and looked at her, she didnt make any eye contact and lots of the Khmer folk on their motos were pointing at her. Wonder how much money they can actually get stood their for a few hours...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

And there I was thinking Guy Pearce was Australian.

Image Image
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic