Should Cambodian university students defer?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Should Cambodian university students defer?

Post by explorer »

The university year finishes soon, and students need to pay for another year. One university has not decided if online learning will continue in the new university year. Many have got rid of a lot of staff, so teaching may not return to normal.

Should Cambodian university students defer for a semester or a year?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Re: Should Cambodian university students defer?

Post by khmerhamster »

I suspect deferment increases the likelihood that the institution will fold and that the several years they have studied already will have been to no avail.

I just don't know what to do. I am responsible for 20 plus students on a scholarship.
Those at big universities like rupp concern me less... But I'm sure other institutions are on the edge of going under.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It may just turn out like old times and the papers for the jobs will be wrote in a pecking order, or whomever can pay regardless of grade results.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

I think one needs to be very "University" specific in addressing this question. In Cambodia all universities most definitely are not the same.
The expectation with the better universities and their faculties is that normal classes and face-to-face education and lectures will resume in November 2020, and to ensure this examinations are currently underway to wrap up the 2019/2020 academic year to allow graduation where results merit this and or academic progression to the next year's studies.

OML
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Ot Mean Loi wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:11 am I think one needs to be very "University" specific in addressing this question. In Cambodia all universities most definitely are not the same.
The expectation with the better universities and their faculties is that normal classes and face-to-face education and lectures will resume in November 2020, and to ensure this examinations are currently underway to wrap up the 2019/2020 academic year to allow graduation where results merit this and or academic progression to the next year's studies.
What about National university of management Or NUM

There is also another uni, I have to get the name of.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I advise everybody not to go to IIC, which is in PP, near Ta Kmou.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

explorer wrote:I advise everybody not to go to IIC, which is in PP, near Ta Kmou.
Why?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

khmerhamster wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:45 pm
explorer wrote:I advise everybody not to go to IIC, which is in PP, near Ta Kmou.
Why?
In the years before the Coronavirus lockdown, students would study first year there, decide it was not as good as other universities, and go to other universities. IIC did not want to lose students, so they refused to give them certificates for first year, and students would have to repeat first year at the other university. The number of students studying second year there, you can count on your fingers. IIC has to have been losing money, even before the Coronavirus.

In Cambodia, students are very selective about where they want to study. Those with enough money all want to study in Phnom Penh. They believe universities in other places are not as good. They also say there is more work in Phnom Penh. There are universities in some provinces which offer free tuition and free accommodation. If they didn't, they would get very few students.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 am There are universities in some provinces which offer free tuition and free accommodation. If they didn't, they would get very few students.
Do you have names of those?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:33 am
explorer wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 am There are universities in some provinces which offer free tuition and free accommodation. If they didn't, they would get very few students.
Do you have names of those?
I don't know the names, just where a couple of them are. There may be more. I have been told there is one in Stung Treng, and another in Kampong Thom.

I know of one student, with little money, who went to Stung Treng for the free uni. Students still have to pay for their food. So they still need some money.

I have heard, students wanting to be teachers, may be rejected in Phnom Penh and Kampong Cham, but be accepted in Kampong Thom.

I have had no direct involvement with these places. There may be others who know more.

I hope I have been given the correct information.

For those thinking of sending students to one of the free universities, it may be false economy. A student may need at least $100 per month for food and living expenses. That is $3 per day, and the absolute minimum to survive. If they study in Phnom Penh, it is easier to get work, and they can earn most of the money then need for living expenses. So studying in Phnom Penh may cost family or sponsors similar or less. It depends a lot on where they study, and where they live.

It would be a good idea to also look at Siem Reap and Kampong Cham. University fees and renting a room is less in Kampong Cham. There are some jobs for students, but not as many as PP.

Students also need to be given freedom of choice. It is really up to where they want to study.

They are also more likely to get work near where they study. So they should think where they would like to live when they have finished their studies.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic