PC in Australia

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

PC in Australia

Post by Arget »

This has got be the most ridiculous, stupid thing I have red in a long time. A person comes up with some angle on a word to complain and because the ABC don't want a social media back lash the cave in to this drivel

Why we live over here.

Two Bluey episodes pulled by ABC over ‘inadvertent’ racism

Lily HoffmannPerthNow
August 19, 2020 4:18PM
Lily Hoffmann
TOPICS
TVEntertainmentSocial Affairs
The ABC have pulled two Bluey episodes off their iView service after a case of “inadvertent” racism.
Bluey — a seven-minute cartoon about a family of blue heelers from the suburbs — has been rocked by racism, after a complaint about the use of the word “ooga booga” prompted a public apology from the national broadcaster.
Some viewers of the beloved series noted that the words “ooga booga” had a “problematic history for indigenous Australians” and had “racial connotations”, according to an update provided by the ABC.
There are conflicting definitions for the term, with slang website urban dictionary saying it is a form of “caveman” greeting, while Macquarie Dictionary lists it as a derogatory noun for the language used by “African savages”.
Chilli, Bluey, Bingo and Bandit from ABC children's program Bluey.
The ABC have removed two episodes of the cartoon from their platform, one titled ‘Flat Pack’ and the other ‘Teasing’, so they can edit out the term.
In a public apology posted to its website, the ABC confirmed that they had apologised “to the complainant for any distress caused by the term used”.
“The ABC has a strong record for giving voice to Indigenous Australians and an ongoing commitment to helping reduce discrimination and prejudice and in this case, the language used was inadvertent,” the apology read.
“The complainant was advised that neither the ABC nor the external producers were aware of the potentially derogatory meaning of the term, which was intended only as irreverent rhyming slang made up by children.”
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: PC in Australia

Post by Username Taken »

I've never heard of Ooga booga being Australian, or offensive to Australian aboriginals, . . . . oops, I meant indigenous Australians.

With all the Africans now living in Australia, it was more likely one of them that complained.

Next they'll be banning Coon cheese!

Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Also never heard of "ooga booga". It probably hasn't been used in over a century with some twenty fourth part indigenous PhD literary student looking for a reputation.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Username Taken wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:02 pm Next they'll be banning Coon cheese!
I don't know if you know and are being light hearted, or you don't know.

They have already decided to change the name of Coon cheese.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

As have

Arnott’s Golliwog Biscuits
Ni**er Boy Licorice
Allen's Redskins
Riviera's Fags
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2020/03/f ... ve-to-die/

whitewashing australia's history of stigmatising trade marks ...law.unimelb.edu.au › assets › pdf_file › 01-Aoun
PDF

Readers are advised that this article contains highly offensive, demeaning and derog- atory representations of Indigenous Australians, Black and ethnic minorities.

A facinating read about marketing in a nation that had a whites only policy when many of us were still young men.Not that racism was acceptable, it was government intention
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

@explorer, no, didn't know about coon cheese.

I suppose when we get sick we can't say that we're in bed with a wog.

And, you can't say Jesus H Christ for fear of offending muslims or ancient aztecs. :facepalm:
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

What does ‘in bed with a wog’ actually mean though?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

whatwat wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 pm What does ‘in bed with a wog’ actually mean though?
Wog : flu or trivial illness
Wog : person of Mediterranean origin. A milder insult than the same word in the UK and perhaps elsewhere.
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html#W
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:52 am
whatwat wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 pm What does ‘in bed with a wog’ actually mean though?
Wog : person of Mediterranean origin. A milder insult than the same word in the UK and perhaps elsewhere.
I can speak for all when I say that man-flu is NOT a “trivial” illness. How very dare you!!!!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Yerg wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:15 am
Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:52 am
I can speak for all when I say that man-flu is NOT a “trivial” illness. How very dare you!!!!
I've got no idea what your problem is, but that is just a cut and paste from the link provided.

Let me clarify.
I'm in bed with a wog. Can mean that you have 'the flu', OR 'gastro', OR 'upset stomach', OR 'can't be bothered going to work', OR some other trivial illness/excuse.

Or.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic