The Future

Post by Doc67 »

Hey Techies, is this your Utopia?

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Future

Post by xandreu »

There is no way I think I'd ever trust a car enough to ever fall asleep.

From the Tesla website:
"Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous."

https://www.tesla.com/autopilot#:~:text ... er%20time.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The "I'm really pissed" button won't be far away.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:38 am The "I'm really pissed" button won't be far away.
I wonder if you could program it with a home only option when you've been in a bar for a couple of hours. It might piss you off at the time because you're next stop was going to be a titty bar, but the following morning you might well be thanking it for saving you a lot of money and liver cells.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

It's the great misunderstanding. 3 seats unavailable, cancer causing tiredust, highways clogged twice a day with over polluting statussymbols. And we could be building maglevs, like the one in Shanghai, all over the planet instead. Beats me.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

hairdo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:48 am It's the great misunderstanding. 3 seats unavailable, cancer causing tiredust, highways clogged twice a day with over polluting statussymbols. And we could be building maglevs, like the one in Shanghai, all over the planet instead. Beats me.
One has to drive or metro across the whole city to get to the maglev in Shanghai, since the system's terminal was set up in an out of the way location at the edge of town. And large scale public transportation projects don't necessarily make sense in areas that aren't population dense.

Perhaps the current work from home push will bring much relief to dangerous, crowded roads and a world suffering under a haze of pollution.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Whilst I don’t for a minute pretend that my gas-guzzlers are eco friendly (but they are fun- I subscribe to Will Smith’s character viewpoint), it does astound me the number of seemingly intelligent people who pound on about zero emissions (and renewable energy) electric cars. Where do these loons think the electricity came from- Santa?

I’m caught squarely between my retro need for fossil fuel induced locomotion, and modern/future tech.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:00 am Whilst I don’t for a minute pretend that my gas-guzzlers are eco friendly (but they are fun- I subscribe to Will Smith’s character viewpoint), it does astound me the number of seemingly intelligent people who pound on about zero emissions (and renewable energy) electric cars. Where do these loons think the electricity came from- Santa?

I’m caught squarely between my retro need for fossil fuel induced locomotion, and modern/future tech.
As I fall into the "loon" category, the electricity cost to fully charge my car for 650 km of driving is about $6-$7 USD. Depending on location, I assuming gasoline might be a bit more than that. A few hours of charging might be a bit more eco friendly than producing and delivering 75 liters of gasoline. So thank you Santa.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

cambo swa wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:25 am
Freightdog wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:00 am Whilst I don’t for a minute pretend that my gas-guzzlers are eco friendly (but they are fun- I subscribe to Will Smith’s character viewpoint), it does astound me the number of seemingly intelligent people who pound on about zero emissions (and renewable energy) electric cars. Where do these loons think the electricity came from- Santa?

As I fall into the "loon" category, the electricity cost to fully charge my car for 650 km of driving is about $6-$7 USD. Depending on location, I assuming gasoline might be a bit more than that. A few hours of charging might be a bit more eco friendly than producing and delivering 75 liters of gasoline. So thank you Santa.
But...do you believe it is all infinitely renewable and free? If yes, loon. If not, you’re bordering on being an eco-trashing, non-pc red neck like moi.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

cambo swa wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:25 am

This is a hard argument for either side to win. From The Guardian,"Electric vehicles also emit substantial amounts of CO2, the only difference being that the exhaust is released at a remove – that is, at the power plant. As long as coal- or gas-fired power plants are needed to ensure energy supply during the “dark doldrums” when the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining, EVs, like ICE vehicles, run partly on hydrocarbons. And even when they are charged with solar- or wind-generated energy, enormous amounts of fossil fuels are used to produce EV batteries in China and elsewhere, offsetting the supposed emissions reduction. As such, the EU’s intervention is not much better than a cutoff device for an emissions control system." https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... e-friendly

The electric car industry has done some very convincing marketing, hasn't it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic