Taxes and Real Cost of Living

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jenningsjs
Tourist
United States of America

Taxes and Real Cost of Living

Post by Jenningsjs »

Can someone explain the real deal with Cambodian taxes on American expats? I’ve read that they can go up to 30-35% and i also read that pretty much no one pays them anyway. What’s the real story?

Also, can someone tell me if there are one bedroom apartments / condos beachfront in Sihanoukville and if so how much they typically rent for? Are there any good realty companies online where I can compare rental properties?

Sorry for 2 unrelated questions and thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Taxes and Real Cost of Living

Post by cambo swa »

Are you asking whether Americans living in Cambodia are taxed differently than other foreigners? If so, then no. What tax are you referencing? Personal income tax. If so that is 20% as are fringe benefits. Tax rates for Khmer are based on income level, not flat rate.
Jenningsjs
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Jenningsjs »

cambo swa wrote:Are you asking whether Americans living in Cambodia are taxed differently than other foreigners? If so, then no. What tax are you referencing? Personal income tax. If so that is 20% as are fringe benefits. Tax rates for Khmer are based on income level, not flat rate.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, sorry, I was referring to personal income tax. Does the 20% apply only to income earned in Cambodia or to my American pension as well? If it applies to pension income from the US, is there any corresponding tax break in the US to offset the expense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

https://www.pwc.com/kh/en/tax/cambodian ... ooklet.pdf

All you need to know about tax.

No tax rate (apart from import tax on certain items) goes above 20% so not sure where the 35% comes from
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Jenningsjs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:54 am Also, can someone tell me if there are one bedroom apartments / condos beachfront in Sihanoukville and if so how much they typically rent for? Are there any good realty companies online where I can compare rental properties?

Sorry for 2 unrelated questions and thanks in advance for any help.
There are beachfront apartments available in Sihanoukville. Right on the beach you can find condo units for ~$1000-2000 (depending on the size of the unit, building has pool, gym etc), little off from beach but still only few minutes from beach and with a sea view from $600 up (bit less if sea view not needed, again with pool & gym etc). Also you can find rooms with fan (pretty basic) just a minute or two walk walk from beach from $150 up.

Unfortunately you have to go and look yourself the apartments. Not much online, but you can try and look khmer24.com. And here is one example 2br unit, 500 meters from beach for $800.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

As an American you have a tax obligation to the United States no matter where you live.

Many people from other countries don't understand this. Because most other countries don't have the same kind of obligation.

Here is what the IRS says: "If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside."

See here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/interna ... ing-abroad

If you want to rent a room you'll typically do best with an agent. Try IPS: https://ips-cambodia.com/
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Jenningsjs wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:34 am Thanks for the reply. Yes, sorry, I was referring to personal income tax. Does the 20% apply only to income earned in Cambodia or to my American pension as well? If it applies to pension income from the US, is there any corresponding tax break in the US to offset the expense?
Are you currently working in Cambodia and getting monthly/yearly salary?
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

As far as I know , if you work in Cambodia you pay the same progressive tax scale as Cambodians do.

I doubt they would try to collect on your pension as income taxes are paid through employers.

Re Aggro’s post, if you are US citizen you are required to file your taxes the same as if you were living in the US, but if you earn less than approx​ . 100k per year you don’t pay income tax (but there may be capital gains tax and others).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic