Pass-app change

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Pass-app change

Post by xandreu »

As there doesn't seem to be any hard and fast rules around this, I just wondered what your opinions were...

What's the highest denomination note that it would be unreasonable to expect a pass-app driver to change? If he doesn't have change, who's job is it to go and get change? And if there's no-where to get change, what happens then?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Pass-app change

Post by timmydownawell »

I change $20-30 to riel (10,000r notes) at the start of each week. Gets me through all my local small purchases. They don't always have change even for $5.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

To be correct I would think its the responsibility of the driver, by right once you pay him it is for him to give you the change back. But this is Cambodia! So you'll know the price of the fare when you book the ride on your phone, so its better to have that amount, saving any problems that otherwise can occur at the end of the journey. Also these are tuk-tuk drivers apparently with little work, so some may try for longer journeys and so on, with seeing you being a foreigner they may act a little awkward, but then again its no use giving $10 for a 5000reil fare.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Some people say they don't have change when they actually do. It is another scam.

They wont have change for large notes.

The answer is to have appropriate money yourself, so when they say they don't have change, you can pay the correct amount.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Use Grab with a bank card to make paymets. Exact money, no begging for tips by way of no change. Problem solved.

I loathe passap just for this reason and now I have discovered Grab's mulitple destination feature, I won't be using them again.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

It’s good to accumulate change for this type of purpose.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I agree with the comments about always making sure you have enough change for your ride but we've all been in that situation where we simply don't and the best we can do is a $5, or worse, a $10...

I guess the best thing to do in that situation is to wave it at them before you get in so that they know that's what's you're paying with. It's up them then if they take the fare or not.

I wasn't aware that you can pay by card with Grab. I will look in to it. I don't know why but I've always found Grab's app to be a bit more finnicky than Pass-App.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:02 pm now I have discovered Grab's mulitple destination feature, I won't be using them again.
i don't mind paying a fair wage, ie a tip is required
and grab are typical screw-the-worker thieving capitalist bastards
OTH the pass-app app completely sucks

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

explorer wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:21 pm Some people say they don't have change when they actually do. It is another scam.

They wont have change for large notes.

The answer is to have appropriate money yourself, so when they say they don't have change, you can pay the correct amount.
Yes, some people DON'T have change for large notes. That is not a scam. TIC.
If you find yourself in the shit because you have only big notes, then stop off at a Minimart and buy a small object of whatever (can of coke/beer) and hey presto, you will have a heap of riel for your taxi.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

Yeah, change your $50-100 notes to Riel, best bet, least trouble. Don't use card,

round up to nearest denomination as tip, and avoid being a cheapo barang.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic