The Price of Beer in Phnom Penh

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

The Price of Beer in Phnom Penh

Post by Doc67 »

I have been thinking about this. You can pay anything between 50c and $5 for a simple beer, and that is a very wide range. I go for the $1 range and that gets me a decent chair and an air conditioned bar.

However, I have noticed that the amount each drink costs rises steeply the more you have. The first 5 are cheap, $1 each is easy to achieve. But once I cross that Rubicon the price rises exponentially and once past 10 it spirals out of control. Lady drinks, impromptu eating, excessive tipping, switching from beer to spirits, more lady drinks and sometimes culminating in waking up at 9am with a strange woman in my bed and a half eaten pizza. The price of each drink factors in all the extras you buy once past a point of no return, in my case it's 10.

I did a graph to show you what I mean. Anyone with thoughts on this phenomena?

(I think this might end up in the asinine section)

theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Re: The Price of Beer in Phnom Penh

Post by theKid »

This is indeed an interesting hypothesis that warrants further examination and analysis. Thanks for providing the visuals, Doc. I’ll have my team go over them and see if I can get back to you with a well researched response.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

theKid wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:01 am This is indeed an interesting hypothesis that warrants further examination and analysis. Thanks for providing the visuals, Doc. I’ll have my team go over them and see if I can get back to you with a well researched response.
I am very interested if others experience this phenomena and what their scale of costs are. If I am alone I will conclude I am completely f**ked up and make plans to go and live in Kuwait/Qatar etc.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You pretty much got total agreement with me on this except I start at 50cent beers no aircon
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
HarryLondon
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by HarryLondon »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:43 am I have been thinking about this. You can pay anything between 50c and $5 for a simple beer, and that is a very wide range. I go for the $1 range and that gets me a decent chair and an air conditioned bar.

However, I have noticed that the amount each drink costs rises steeply the more you have. The first 5 are cheap, $1 each is easy to achieve. But once I cross that Rubicon the price rises exponentially and once past 10 it spirals out of control. Lady drinks, impromptu eating, excessive tipping, switching from beer to spirits, more lady drinks and sometimes culminating in waking up at 9am with a strange woman in my bed and a half eaten pizza. The price of each drink factors in all the extras you buy once past a point of no return, in my case it's 10.

Congratulations on being able to drink 17 Beers and manage to work out it cost you $151, which if a lady was involved, or several, sounds very reasonable.
I am guessing that is part of the problem?
10 beers for $27 initially, also sounds very good compared to London prices, but a half pint of Moretti in the Traveller's Friend is £2.70 = $3.52 x 10 is only $35.52 which doesn't seem a lot more.
Why is my gut telling me that $151, 17 Beers, Half a Pizza and waking up with a naked lady sounds good?
Or was it a whole Pizza and a half eaten naked Lady?
I demand a re-count and further gorey details of additional non essential expenditure !
Pedalling slow in the fast lane.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

I also seem to notice that after 5 beers the cans keep getting smaller!😊
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

HarryLondon wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:32 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:43 am I have been thinking about this. You can pay anything between 50c and $5 for a simple beer, and that is a very wide range. I go for the $1 range and that gets me a decent chair and an air conditioned bar.

Congratulations on being able to drink 17 Beers and manage to work out it cost you $151, which if a lady was involved, or several, sounds very reasonable.
I am guessing that is part of the problem?
10 beers for $27 initially, also sounds very good compared to London prices, but a half pint of Moretti in the Traveller's Friend is £2.70 = $3.52 x 10 is only $35.52 which doesn't seem a lot more.
Why is my gut telling me that $151, 17 Beers, Half a Pizza and waking up with a naked lady sounds good?
Or was it a whole Pizza and a half eaten naked Lady?
I demand a re-count and further gorey details of additional non essential expenditure !
You want pictures?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I'd need a much bigger graph.
HarryLondon
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by HarryLondon »

No pictures !
Pedalling slow in the fast lane.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

I am probably taking your OP too seriously ... but the effects of alcohol on our behaviour is a well studied subject. And your anecdotal evidence is actually backed up by those studies.

From Alcohol.org
Alcohol also decreases some of the activity of the prefrontal cortex. This part of the brain is what helps you to think clearly and rationally, and it is involved in your decision making abilities. When you drink, alcohol makes it harder for the prefrontal cortex to work as it should, disrupting decision-making and rational thought. In this way, alcohol prompts you to act without thinking about your actions.
And an article in Psychology Today on the same subject.
To see which regions of the brain were more or less active while drinking, researchers gave a group of subjects a PET scan after injecting them with harmless radioactive glucose, the brain's preferred source of energy. Highly active regions consume more glucose, and those regions are brightly lit during the PET scan, whereas less active regions are dimmer.

The regions of the brain with the greatest decrease in activity were the prefrontal cortex and the temporal cortex. Decreased activity in the prefrontal cortex, the region responsible for decision making and rational thought, further explains why alcohol causes us to act without thinking. The prefrontal cortex also plays a role in preventing aggressive behavior, so this might help explain the relationship between alcohol and violence (see my last post). The temporal cortex houses the hippocampus, the brain region responsible for forming new memories. Reduced activity in the hippocampus might account for why people black out when drinking.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic