Stuck in Saigon, stuff I need is in storage in PP

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Smedley
Tourist
Turks & Caicos Is

Stuck in Saigon, stuff I need is in storage in PP

Post by Smedley »

I’m stuck in Saigon. I have given up hope about being able to return to Cambodia in the near future.

The 1 year ER extension that I got in January has turned out to be a waste of $300 as I’ve never been able to use it and probably won’t get the chance before it expires.

Meanwhile, I have two big bags in storage at a hotel in PP that contain clothes, vitamins and other stuff that I need. Actually only one of them is really important, the other I could probably live without.

Is there any way I can get some bus or transport company to carry these bags to me in VN? Would there be any taxes to pay to VN if transported in this way? They mostly contain old stuff but some new clothes and unopened vitamins.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Stuck in Saigon, stuff I need is in storage in PP

Post by ExPenhMan »

Poster ATST re-entered Cambodia on an ER visa just a few weeks ago. But he flew from Australia to Taipei to Phnom Penh. Not sure there are SGN-PNH flights but you can loop out and back in from TPE or ICN or HKG. Maybe.

Here's the thread. Starts from Page 6. Headline was changed from original in the URL below.

the-road/clutching-straws-get-home-t38772.html
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Smedley wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:26 am I’m stuck in Saigon. I have given up hope about being able to return to Cambodia in the near future.

The 1 year ER extension that I got in January has turned out to be a waste of $300 as I’ve never been able to use it and probably won’t get the chance before it expires.

Meanwhile, I have two big bags in storage at a hotel in PP that contain clothes, vitamins and other stuff that I need. Actually only one of them is really important, the other I could probably live without.

Is there any way I can get some bus or transport company to carry these bags to me in VN? Would there be any taxes to pay to VN if transported in this way? They mostly contain old stuff but some new clothes and unopened vitamins.
I am sure you can, but you need boots on the ground in PP. I'm not there, so not much use for you, but others are. Post a request, make an offer they can't refuse, and you'll have your bag in days I guess.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

The risk is too high for any sender. Otherwise it's as easy as popping on a bus.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I'm stuck in Australia and have some stuff in PP if someone could bring it back for my I'd really appreciate it
There is some dog food in there so might be a good idea to steer clear of any dogs at the airport, Thanks.
Smedley
Tourist
Turks & Caicos Is

Post by Smedley »

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the tardy response. I do have some friends at the hotel in PP who might be able to arrange it for me.

A bus company would be the cheapest way, but are there any buses running now? The only ones that might be running are those carrying cargo, not people. There were a lot of bus companies running the PP-HCM route before all this rubbish started but how many are now out of business?

I don't see how it would be risky for anyone.

I also have a locker at the hotel where I have valuable stuff like a laptop and personal important papers. I guess there's no way to get that stuff out except by coming personally.

I am absolutely disgusted by the $3000, insurance, quarantine b******t. If that persists, I will write off Cambo permanently.
Smedley
Tourist
Turks & Caicos Is

Post by Smedley »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 am
Smedley wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:26 am I’m stuck in Saigon. I have given up hope about being able to return to Cambodia in the near future.

I am sure you can, but you need boots on the ground in PP. I'm not there, so not much use for you, but others are. Post a request, make an offer they can't refuse, and you'll have your bag in days I guess.
Thanks.
HOW is someone going to get my bag to me if it's impossible to travel to Vietnam?
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Smedley wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:13 pm Thanks for the replies and sorry for the tardy response. I do have some friends at the hotel in PP who might be able to arrange it for me.

A bus company would be the cheapest way, but are there any buses running now? The only ones that might be running are those carrying cargo, not people. There were a lot of bus companies running the PP-HCM route before all this rubbish started but how many are now out of business?

I don't see how it would be risky for anyone.

I also have a locker at the hotel where I have valuable stuff like a laptop and personal important papers. I guess there's no way to get that stuff out except by coming personally.

I am absolutely disgusted by the $3000, insurance, quarantine b******t. If that persists, I will write off Cambo permanently.
There's absolutely no risk in sending a stranger's unknown items internationally roflolmao 😂

And fuck a country for putting in place measures to protect itself during a global pandemic.

😂 Love this place
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Smedley wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:52 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks.
HOW is someone going to get my bag to me if it's impossible to travel to Vietnam?
You need a nanny coming with them, or just a bag?
Transport of goods is still allowed.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic