Covid 19 and Airplane Travel - how to do it more safely?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Covid 19 and Airplane Travel - how to do it more safely?

Post by Rtrac »

I see a lot of discussion about how to return to Cambodia in light of the Covid 19 pandemic and restrictions on travel. What I have not seen (and I see a lot of uneducated comments) is on the topical of Covid 19 prevention and air travel. This virus has 3 modes of transmission - contact (touching surfaces with the virus) + droplet (basically very small spit spray with virus) + aerosol ( microscopic droplets of water with virus particles - look at sun light coming through a window and floating debris in the air = aerosol).

Knowing many infectious disease experts / icu physicians / pulmonologist s - they have all noted to avoid close contact with people in enclosed places for the least amount of time. An Airplane is the absolute worst place to be during this type of pandemic. Let alone having to take multiple flights for extended periods of time.

Another item of concern, is that we can not control the behavior and choices of our fellow travelers. Yes, the airlines require masks but the effectiveness varies by the type and how the user fits and uses the mask. General public have not been trained in infection control and this is what is required to keep everyone relatively safe from infection.

What to do? How about spread some knowledge for those whom may be taking a flight during this pandemic?

Here are my recommendations (*stolen from my ID / ICU / Pulm friends):
#1 most of the infection of Covid 19 is transmitted by droplets (and possible aerosol transmission) = thus a tight fitting mask that prevents viral particles getting in or out of your lungs seems to be best choice = N95 mask / M3 Silicon Reusable Face Mask > surgical mask > home made cloth mask. Of these the M3 face mask are readily available (In the USA only health professionals can purchase N95 masks legally due to need to save these limited resources) and is more comfortable than a N95. Also N95 masks need to be test fitted - no facial hair to break the seal - need to be changed every 8 to 12 hours.
#2 protecting mucus membranes is the next most common site of entry (you have mucus membranes around your eyes, nose, mouth, urethral, and anus). Luckily we have not seen any documented transmission via the anus or urethra! You want to protect these areas from droplets / spit and also prevent self contamination with hands touching face. If nose and mouth are covered by mask then add goggles + face shield would be the most ideal.
#3 hand hygiene = as some one who has been trained “how to wash your hands”, I can bet you if you had your hand washing / cleansing skills examined, they would be given a failing grade by an experienced OR nurse. Washing with soap and water is probably the most effective (wash off fomites and soap disrupts the lipid membrane of the virus envelope deactivating it). For those without hand scrubbing skills of a surgeon, next best is an alcohol (Ethyl Alcohol over 60 % = DON’T USE METHANOL!). A monkey can use hand sanitizer effectively. It does not remove fomites but can destroy the cell walls of bacteria and envelop coverings of viruses (but if High Amount of Virus - some might get through= infection).

If you want a comprehensive bit of background on this topic and the virus here is a great video conversation among UCSF physicians (California Doctors):

If you want a quick and dirty explanation that is easy to digest from a Pulmonologist and ICU doctor, he has a video dedicated to the topic of air travel and how to prevent Covid 19:

I know some will think this is crazy but I have seen this virus up close. It scares the SH#T out of me. I am not known to be alarmed easily amongst my peers. When I see my ID/ER/ICU/Pulmonologist friends get frightened, I would caution all to reconsider if you think this is all over kill.

Again, I offer this as something to give back to the CEO as this website has been personally very helpful to reunite me with my family.
Thank You!
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Covid 19 and Airplane Travel - how to do it more safely?

Post by Lonestar »

If you are taking this level of caution when boarding the airplane...you should never leave your hotel upon arrival. Even the risk of riding in a tuk tuk or taxi from the airport to your hotel is 100X that of dying from Covid you caught on the plane. On top of that, there are still many nasty diseases you can encounter in Cambodia..are you going to walk around in a haz mat suit your entire trip?
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Are you over 65 with a pre-existing serious illness? If not your chances of dying from coronavirus are similar to the chances of being hit by a meteor. Unfortunately you are badly infected by the hysteria pandemic which is much more widespread and more deadly.

There is actually no evidence that anyone has ever been infected on an aircraft because the air changes so frequently. Apart from outdoors, its one of the safest places to be.

Snap out of it. Stop listening to scare mongering from the so-called medical "experts" and the media. They want to maintain the fear to increase their profits.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful pointers. Given the somewhat high risk of getting on a plane with infected Cambodians returning home this is very timely advice.

Naturally such a post will attract responses from people with their Pavlovian reflexes (brain activity was not involved in those postings).

Thanks again.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Spend the money you would use on the plane ticket on hazmat gear. Hermetically seal off your house from the outside world and stay put. You'll be safest at home. Then you won't have to worry at all.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Wear a mask, wash hands frequently, use hand sanitizer, wipe down surfaces you might touch, keep your eyes closed (aka sleep), seems pretty reasonable (and doable) advice.

Wearing goggles for a 30 hour flight might be tough. He did not say wear a hazmat suit or a plastic gown.

The more impermeable a mask is, the harder to breathe through it, and the more moisture will collect underneath. With N95 being the most uncomfortable to wear for long periods.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:59 pm Wear a mask, wash hands frequently, use hand sanitizer, wipe down surfaces you might touch, keep your eyes closed (aka sleep), seems pretty reasonable (and doable) advice.

Wearing goggles for a 30 hour flight might be tough. He did not say wear a hazmat suit or a plastic gown.

The more impermeable a mask is, the harder to breathe through it, and the more moisture will collect underneath. With N95 being the most uncomfortable to wear for long periods.
Thirty hours? Is it a space shuttle to the moon?

Singapore Airlines' direct flight from Singapore to Newark, New Jersey, is currently the longest flight in the world, lasting around 18 hours and 30 minutes.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

My 2c.
When traveling, wear a mask and take some hand gel. Use the hand gel after touching doors, luggage trolleys, railings on escalators etc while in the airport. Keep your distance as much as possible. It is one of the few covid advantages that (most) people no longer push and shove and stand on your heels when queueing. Enjoy this new etiquette.

On the plane they give you a nice sanitised blanket. Stick it over your head and go to sleep. Don't forget to use your hand sanitiser after going to the toilet and washing your hands, because you then touch the door.

This is not being hysterical, it is just taking sensible precautions. :dm:

Top travel tip: If you have a smokers cough ( like me), then take some cough drops with you so you don't freak out the people around you. :mrgreen:
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I'd be wiping the seat buckle and tray table knob with sanitiser the moment I was seated if I was catching a flight. And hand sanitiser after any visit to the loo. Keep the mask on for the duration, and that's probably enough.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

Pizzalover wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:29 pm Thanks for the thoughtful and helpful pointers. Given the somewhat high risk of getting on a plane with infected Cambodians returning home this is very timely advice.

Naturally such a post will attract responses from people with their Pavlovian reflexes (brain activity was not involved in those postings).

Thanks again.
Yes - unfortunately it has been my experience in my working career as well. I don’t respond as arguing is not helpful. I just want to give back to CEO as this community has helped me enormously. Thank you for the kind words.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic