Police Round Up Group of Homeless Men in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Police Round Up Group of Homeless Men in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On August 04, 2020, Mrs. Dul Sopheap, the village chief and Lieutenant Sorn Chomroeunpanha, the police chief, led the police force to collect 7 homeless men, including three minors, who live on the street and use drugs.
The 7 homeless were identified as Phan Sopheak, a 17 year old boy, Satha Visal, 13 year old boy, Chan Chomroeun, a 21 year old man, Ouk Tola, a 13 year old boy, Khem Dyma, a 24 year old man, Seng Kimhong, a 14 year old boy, and Chub Dara, a 23 year old man. They were sent to the police station to follow the legal procedure.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Police Round Up Group of Homeless Men in Phnom Penh

Post by canucklhead »

This is all well and good but what happens to them now?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

They get sent to "Drug Rehabilitation" or "Social Affairs" centers which are sort of like low-security prisons.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... facilities
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

canucklhead wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:24 pm This is all well and good but what happens to them now?
At a guess, they will be sent to the Social Affairs Dept for reeducation or drug rehab. Then they will be released to start again as homeless druggies. :(
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Good. To much problem for tourists on river front with those guys hanging around there.

Havnt been there for a long time so sat down and had a beer when i drove by at 9ish pm. Sat for 2 minutes and then i had 3-4 homeless/pickpockets cirulating me plus 2 streetwalkers so i left. Good that they clear up for tourists who are not used to deal with those lowlifes.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

God forbid hard up poor people get in the way of tourists who aren't allowed into the country at the moment to enjoy their fifty cent beers in peace.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

aggro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:41 pm God forbid hard up poor people get in the way of tourists who aren't allowed into the country at the moment to enjoy their fifty cent beers in peace.
Do you really believe drug users are hard up poor people?

Do you think they should be left where they can harass and rob people?

Where I am, I have talked to the police about a couple of people I have seen stealing.

Something which concerns me in Cambodia. Let's say one of these drug users try to rob you. You defend yourself. The person trying to rob you gets hurt. He then claims he was not trying to rob you, and you assaulted him. So you get charged with assaulting a Cambodian, and go to jail. These people do need to be removed from places where they can make trouble. They also rob Cambodians. But they target foreigners, because they believe foreigners have more money. Some foreigners are stupid enough to give them money, which makes the problem much worse. They behave like beggars when they see foreigners. Where I am, when there are a lot of visitors around, foreigners or Cambodians, they bring in police, to avoid these problems. They know it would happen without police.
Last edited by explorer on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

No I think their houses are just so full of cash stacks that they have to find somewhere else to sleep.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

aggro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:07 pm No I think their houses are just so full of cash stacks that they have to find somewhere else to sleep.
There are stil alot of movement around the river front.

Second of all the homeless, or as i would call them om riverside, ice addicted pickpockets, are known to hang around there. Its nothing new. Most innocent harmless homeless people dont Snatch bags or stick their fingers into other people's pockets.

I dont mind homeless. I mind the thieves. Those are the same when it comes to river side and thats why the police are geting rid of them from there. It been going on for a long time.

But maybe you never been there.
Last edited by Albror on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Nope never. I am actually posting this from an igloo floating on a raft near the north pole.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic