Police Round Up Group of Homeless Men in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Police Round Up Group of Homeless Men in Phnom Penh

Post by Albror »

aggro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:22 pm Nope never. I am actually posting this from an igloo floating on a raft near the north pole.
Thought so.

Police been geting those guys from riverside once in a while for many years to try keep it so that you can feel safe at night.

They know what they are doing there. But once a bag is snatched att night time its usually to late so they get rid of them for beeing homeless beforehand.
Last edited by Albror on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Thanks for the incredible info. I feel safer already. Enjoy your beer.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:50 pm Something which concerns me in Cambodia. Let's say one of these drug users try to rob you. You defend yourself. The person trying to rob you gets hurt. He then claims he was not trying to rob you, and you assaulted him. So you get charged with assaulting a Cambodian, and go to jail. These people do need to be removed from places where they can make trouble. They also rob Cambodians. But they target foreigners, because they believe foreigners have more money. Some foreigners are stupid enough to give them money, which makes the problem much worse. They behave like beggars when they see foreigners. Where I am, when there are a lot of visitors around, foreigners or Cambodians, they bring in police, to avoid these problems. They know it would happen without police.
Years ago men from the Australian military helped at a small NGO. They brought in Cambodian military to protect them. At a superficial level it looked funny. You had little men there to protect big men. Yes, Australians are much bigger than Cambodians. But when you understand how Cambodians think, you realize it becomes necessary. If someone was to take a disliking to the Australians, and start any kind of conflict, the Australians could defend themselves, but it would become a racist conflict. When the Cambodian military is there to stop any troublemakers, it is not a racist conflict.

The same when you defend yourself from a robber. It may turn into a racist thing, and you may be blamed. It depends on whether there were witnesses and what they saw. Some Cambodians would beat up a robber.
Last edited by explorer on Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

aggro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:25 pm Thanks for the incredible info. I feel safer already. Enjoy your beer.

You are welcome. I might enjoy one later after the gym in honor of your blind innocent sympathy for anyone without a home.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

Please see a psychologist as soon as possible.
Camerican
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Camerican »

:Bravo: :bow: I feel so fortunate to be able to share the same forum with such royalty as your self, God forbid you ever were born in a third world country and had to figure out how to survive on your own..
Not to mention how bad addiction is is the first place and that's more than true for the majority of members here,that why we live here at least the majority of us,that lack of judgement and the freedom many of us get lost here just like the locals. Man fuck you and anyone else who thinks you are better than anyone you see on the street or on the news here because your here for one reason or another answell so keep your high and mighty shit at home your no better than us and we're no better than you. And sorry for the rough interdutcio I've been reading this forum daily for four years.never felt any subject really needed my input until now. That's guys kinda a fick
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:50 pm
aggro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:41 pm God forbid hard up poor people get in the way of tourists who aren't allowed into the country at the moment to enjoy their fifty cent beers in peace.
Do you really believe drug users are hard up poor people?

Do you think they should be left where they can harass and rob people?

Where I am, I have talked to the police about a couple of people I have seen stealing.

Something which concerns me in Cambodia. Let's say one of these drug users try to rob you. You defend yourself. The person trying to rob you gets hurt. He then claims he was not trying to rob you, and you assaulted him. So you get charged with assaulting a Cambodian, and go to jail. These people do need to be removed from places where they can make trouble. They also rob Cambodians. But they target foreigners, because they believe foreigners have more money. Some foreigners are stupid enough to give them money, which makes the problem much worse. They behave like beggars when they see foreigners. Where I am, when there are a lot of visitors around, foreigners or Cambodians, they bring in police, to avoid these problems. They know it would happen without police.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Don't you see? It is clear that 13 year old drug addicted homeless children are a menace to all beer swilling tourists on the river side. How could you think otherwise?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Camerican wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:55 pm
Not to mention how bad addiction is is the first place and that's more than true for the majority of members here,that why we live here at least the majority of us,that lack of judgement and the freedom many of us get lost here just like the locals.
What are you trying to say there?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

Camerican wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:55 pm :Bravo: :bow: I feel so fortunate to be able to share the same forum with such royalty as your self, God forbid you ever were born in a third world country and had to figure out how to survive on your own..
Not to mention how bad addiction is is the first place and that's more than true for the majority of members here,that why we live here at least the majority of us,that lack of judgement and the freedom many of us get lost here just like the locals. Man fuck you and anyone else who thinks you are better than anyone you see on the street or on the news here because your here for one reason or another answell so keep your high and mighty shit at home your no better than us and we're no better than you. And sorry for the rough interdutcio I've been reading this forum daily for four years.never felt any subject really needed my input until now. That's guys kinda a fick
explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:50 pm
aggro wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:41 pm God forbid hard up poor people get in the way of tourists who aren't allowed into the country at the moment to enjoy their fifty cent beers in peace.
Do you really believe drug users are hard up poor people?

Do you think they should be left where they can harass and rob people?

Where I am, I have talked to the police about a couple of people I have seen stealing.

Something which concerns me in Cambodia. Let's say one of these drug users try to rob you. You defend yourself. The person trying to rob you gets hurt. He then claims he was not trying to rob you, and you assaulted him. So you get charged with assaulting a Cambodian, and go to jail. These people do need to be removed from places where they can make trouble. They also rob Cambodians. But they target foreigners, because they believe foreigners have more money. Some foreigners are stupid enough to give them money, which makes the problem much worse. They behave like beggars when they see foreigners. Where I am, when there are a lot of visitors around, foreigners or Cambodians, they bring in police, to avoid these problems. They know it would happen without police.
Sure you can have empathy, understanding that they have to get money somehow etc but that does not mean you can let criminals roam freely and cause problems for others.

Next time you see a pickpocket just give him your wallet voulentary?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It is ideal to help poor people in the early days, before they get involved in anything bad.

One of the reasons I help people from poor families with their education, is because it enables them to achieve more, and have higher aims in life.

With the students I am assisting, probably none of them would have turned to drugs if I didn't help them, but they may have become discouraged, and done things which are not ideal.

Having a university education and a well paying job, also enables them to get a good partner. Without it, some of the girls may have married men who drink a lot of beer, and finished up living in poverty.

Some Cambodians will take children of drug addicts and put them in orphanages / children's homes. I know there has been a lot of negative things said about orphanages, but when the parents are drug addicts, it is often a better option.

I met one Cambodian girl who told me she had used drugs. When she gave birth, the doctor took her baby and never brought it back. She was sad, but it may have been the best thing to do.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic