URGENT: Any Blood Donors Available in Phnom Penh ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: URGENT: Any Blood Donors Available in Phnom Penh ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE

Norfolk man campaigns to save life of friend stranded in Cambodia
PUBLISHED: 21:17 21 August 2020 | UPDATED: 10:57 22 August 2020
Adam Lazzari
Matthew Roberts in hospital in Cambodia. Picture: LOUIS DOUGHTY
A Norfolk man is fighting to save his friend’s life by raising money to get him home to the UK from Cambodia to get the medical treatment he desperately needs.

Matthew Roberts, 47, is suffering from a serious and currently undiagnosed underlying condition which is causing a blood disease.

His friend Louis Doughty said Mr Roberts’ falling haemoglobin levels mean he could die within days on the street penniless if he is unable to get back to the UK.

Mr Doughty, 37, who is from Norwich and lived in Fakenham, met Mr Roberts while travelling in Cambodia and is promoting a Crowdfunding campaign set up by friend Katie Holmes to raise the £2,000 needed to get Mr Roberts home.

Mr Doughty, who is currently in Cambodia’s capital Phnom Pehn, said: “Matt is the nicest guy you could meet. We instantly clicked. He’s got a great sense of humour and a heart of gold.

“He’s found himself in this awful situation, with no money, unable to pay for any more medical care, expired medical insurance and unable to get home.

“I’d urge anyone who can offer anything at all to please donate and help save this man’s life.”

Mr Roberts, who is from Shrewsbury, first became unwell about five weeks ago and his condition has rapidly deteriorated.

He suffers from severe anaemia and stomach ulcers and his haemoglobin levels are dangerously low, preventing oxygen from getting to his vital organs.

He has had blood transfusions at The Khmer Soviet Friendship Hospital in Phnom Pehn, after Mr Doughty reached out to people on social media to secure blood donations, but can no longer afford treatment.

Mr Doughty said: “If people can find it in their hearts to sacrifice even the smallest amount, collectively we could help save my friend’s life, he does not have to die, please help.”

With the more advanced medical care available under the NHS in the UK, Mr Doughty is desperate to get his friend home.

Complicating matters further, Mr Roberts will not be able to leave Cambodia until he can pay for overstaying, despite his condition.

Mr Doughty said: “This guy has had a lot of bad luck and been given bad advice over the type of visa he got, which is why he is being charged for overstaying.

“Most tourists, stranded because of Covid 19, had their Visa overstay fines wavered.

“Matt tried to do the right thing by getting an EG Visa because he was going to look for work, unfortunately that fell through due to the current Covid crisis, now he’s being punished the ultimate punishment.

“He’s got a lot of life left to live and many things he still wants to do in life. He’s petrified, please help me save his life, he does not want to die.

“Unfortunately the Embassy has not been able to help and he’s left stranded and alone waiting to die when his condition could be reversed with the right care back in the UK.

“But time is not our side, please Matt needs your kindness”

People can donate and share and also see a timeline of events leading to Mr Roberts’ current situation by going to, www.gf.me/u/yqhcw6
https://www.fakenhamtimes.co.uk/news/no ... -1-6804289
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
lagrange
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by lagrange »

I am not questioning how genuine this is, since I have no way of knowing. But I was just wondering. Is it correct that someone who overstays their visa cannot leave unless they pay the fines, when they have no money? Seems a bit of a Catch 22. Also, why would the UK embassy refuse to help? And given the state he is in, will he get a flight for £2000? A medevac flight costs quite a bit more than that, and no airline is going to take a semi comatose guy on as a regular passenger. Just a few things that dont add up. If genuine I wish him the best, but still......
" Tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

There's no scam here - I saw him in hospital and he was was yellow, anyhow he got the blood needed but there are other complications that need treating ASAP so he obviously needs to go to UK and great treatment by the NHS, atm he's mobile and just waiting in a cheap room trying to sort a visa issue with the embassy's help, while people help by bring him food etc. He made his target of $2000 through GoFundMe and now he just needs to sort a visa issue in which he says was given the wrong type of visa when last extending so is excluded from the overstay being waivered.

Fingers crossed he's able to get through this all but I have doubts the embassy will be of any help, it'd be a first that's for sure. The place is not fit for purpose. I'd be up for leading a mob and just emptying the place and everyone (No one close to british will be in there) out and converting it into a glass hammer/chocolate fireguard shop instead. It would literally be making more use of the building than what goes on in there now.
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:27 am There's no scam here - I saw him in hospital and he was was yellow, anyhow he got the blood needed but there are other complications that need treating ASAP so he obviously needs to go to UK and great treatment by the NHS, atm he's mobile and just waiting in a cheap room trying to sort a visa issue with the embassy's help, while people help by bring him food etc. He made his target of $2000 through GoFundMe and now he just needs to sort a visa issue in which he says was given the wrong type of visa when last extending so is excluded from the overstay being waivered.

Fingers crossed he's able to get through this all but I have doubts the embassy will be of any help, it'd be a first that's for sure. The place is not fit for purpose. I'd be up for leading a mob and just emptying the place and everyone (No one close to british will be in there) out and converting it into a glass hammer/chocolate fireguard shop instead. It would literally be making more use of the building than what goes on in there now.
This is a complete scam. They have raised 3880 GBP or $5145. He claims he owes $1600 overstay and needs a ticket home,this amount is easily covered by donations.

Yet these two scammers are still asking for money.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

LIVIDZX wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:27 am he says was given the wrong type of visa when last extending so is excluded from the overstay being waivered.
What does this mean?

Overstay is overstay, no matter what visa you are in.

Except in the current circumstances a tourist visa. But that is not possible as you cannot come in on a tourist visa and convert without leaving.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

ned kelly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm
This is a complete scam. They have raised 3880 GBP or $5145. He claims he owes $1600 overstay and needs a ticket home,this amount is easily covered by donations.

Are they? They are two of my friends and I haven't seen them asking for anything shortly before the target was met - in fact Matt, the one who is sick put up a thank you message recently saying his target had been met. As for the amount itself - if they raised more than was needed then good for them? People can clearly see the target amount was reached but if they choose to donate still then that's on them, maybe they're just being kind & using common sense given that the guy has no family and nowhere to go when back home so will need help kick starting some sort of life when he's better. He also owes hospital fee's btw.
cautious colin wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:10 pm What does this mean?

Except in the current circumstances a tourist visa. But that is not possible as you cannot come in on a tourist visa and convert without leaving.
I'm really not sure of the exact details, you'd have to ask him personally. I don't think they'd go through all the hassle with the embassy given he is dying if he was just making stuff up.
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

LIVIDZX wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:54 pm
ned kelly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Are they? They are two of my friends and I haven't seen them asking for anything shortly before the target was met - in fact Matt, the one who is sick put up a thank you message recently saying his target had been met. As for the amount itself - if they raised more than was needed then good for them? People can clearly see the target amount was reached but if they choose to donate still then that's on them, maybe they're just being kind & using common sense given that the guy has no family and nowhere to go when back home so will need help kick starting some sort of life when he's better. He also owes hospital fee's btw.
cautious colin wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:10 pm What does this mean?

I'm really not sure of the exact details, you'd have to ask him personally. I don't think they'd go through all the hassle with the embassy given he is dying if he was just making stuff up.
Got to his FB page,hes still got his hand out,just a scammer.If theyre your mated,let them know the Embassy has been made aware they have more than enough money to pay the fines,and Gofundme has been alerted theyre are running a scam.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

ned kelly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:05 pm
ned kelly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm This is a complete scam. They have raised 3880 GBP or $5145. He claims he owes $1600 overstay and needs a ticket home,this amount is easily covered by donations.
Got to his FB page,hes still got his hand out,just a scammer.If theyre your mated,let them know the Embassy has been made aware they have more than enough money to pay the fines,and Gofundme has been alerted theyre are running a scam.
I am amazed that someone who knows nothing about the situation, thinks they know it all, and thinks they need to interfere.

List all of his expenses, and tell us if he has more than he needs.

Better still, don't interfere with the life of someone who may die.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ned kelly »

explorer wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:25 pm
ned kelly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:05 pm
ned kelly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:53 pm This is a complete scam. They have raised 3880 GBP or $5145. He claims he owes $1600 overstay and needs a ticket home,this amount is easily covered by donations.
I am amazed that someone who knows nothing about the situation, thinks they know it all, and thinks they need to interfere.

List all of his expenses, and tell us if he has more than he needs.

Better still, don't interfere with the life of someone who may die.
I know plenty about the situation. $1600 in over stay fines,$400 airfare. They are lying to the Embassy claiming they have no money and worse scamming their friends.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

ned kelly wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:42 pm I know plenty about the situation. $1600 in over stay fines,$400 airfare. They are lying to the Embassy claiming they have no money and worse scamming their friends.
What is the source of your information?
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic