NEW: Cambodian Entry Requirements for Foreigners Revised

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: NEW: Cambodian Entry Requirements for Foreigners Revised

Post by ExPenhMan »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:02 pm This is excellent news. The initial outlay slashed by 1000 USD is helpful.

Now we can purchase health-insurance online in advance and have that paper for the airline and we do not need 2 insurances anymore (one for getting on the plane and then the Cambo one).

Furthermore, Tourist seem to be allowed in again under section IV.

Those with a job have even less to worry about.

All things considered, the Cambodian authorities are working systematically and in the right direction. They evaluate their rules and adapt them. Imagine a Thai official reducing financial requirements...... what a loss of face.

I m hoping to make it back in September once I can get out of this prison camp (country) and reach a proper airport and a cambo embassy. Today i m a bit more hopeful.
Yes, looks a bit more promising. However, they have to resume sales of VoAs for us ordinary folks. I simply do not (legitimately) qualify for a business invitation or sponsorship. At least Section IV is ready.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

and family members
This part at least is of interest to people like myself. Previously, we were excluded as foreigners as we were considered as tourists only; there was no thought about family commitments.
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

So for those with visa but do not fall into the sponsored or invited categories, we pay $2k US dollars+Covid 19 pcr negative within 72 hours of DEPARTURE+health certificate+and purchase 20 days of Covid specific insurance for $90 (https://www.forteinsurance.com/covid-19-insurance/).

This is an improvement on many fronts:
#1 it clearly states who is allowed to enter
#2 it clearly states the rules for entry
#3 Cambodia is not welcoming tourists (at this time)
#4 Cambodia is focused on its business relationships

Now everyone will know where they stand and in what pecking order.

Knowing the specifics and having them written out in English from an official Cambodian governmental agency is immensely helpful and will alleviate much stress / confusion.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:56 pm
and family members
This part at least is of interest to people like myself. Previously, we were excluded as foreigners as we were considered as tourists only; there was no thought about family commitments.
I think you'll find that it is referring to the spouse and kids of business persons, company staff, experts, technicians, etc., not the father of Khmer kids.

Maybe one day.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Well....we can hope...
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Username Taken wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:13 pm
Freightdog wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:56 pm
and family members
I think you'll find that it is referring to the spouse and kids of business persons, company staff, experts, technicians, etc., not the father of Khmer kids.

Maybe one day.
I think you are right about this. Also I would also think that the authorities would think that a foreigner with wife or family here would think that they would follow the rules and have all legalities in order that they specified as law, so there is no complications. (If it was a perfect world). Personally I feel for those people who have family here and don't fall into the categories, such has being over 50. But that law changed lately. Even keeping up with laws is that of a struggle.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

I have just posted it in 2 other threads. I had emailed forte for further info and got an almost immediate answer. The relevant info was this:

To enter Cambodia, you must show:

Health Certificate of Covid 19 Negative
Insurance Certificate with effective before or date you arrive Cambodia. Only from Forte Insurance Cambodia.

Quotation:

Period 20 day, price $ 90
Period 1 month, price $ 120
Period 3 month, price $ 250

Yup, it seems that I was way too happy when I first read the announcement. 'Regular' traveler might simply refer to all not included in I to III. We need to get a visa. My E-R is gone. So maybe I can plead with them as my address is in Cambo and my cash too. Slowly getting a bit tight after 5 months.

The new insurance rule is not too expensive when I compare it with other quotes plus it creates an element of certainty and an easy to handle process.

I like that the authorities improve their rules according to facts, i.e. reducing the deposit as it turned out that 3K was not necessary. If this mindset prevails we might have hope that more good news might follow. I take that the fee charged for the deposit dropped to 20 USD down from 30. Let's see. Minor detail but it would be a good indicator, once more.
Rtrac
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Rtrac »

Forte Insurance Cambodia application: you need to up load your negative Covid 19 health certificate (negative PCR for Coronavirus). This means you need to wait till it is with in the 72 hours window prior to your departure to purchase the insurance.

I thought I could just get mine done early to check off this requirement. But, no, this is an elaborate dance with many steps. At least the instructions are clearly spelled out.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

$2000 or $3000 is still the same you just get an extra $1000 back from your deposit so not cheaper, now you need $90 insurance on top of covid test, hotel quarantine for first night or two
I used my old nomads insurance I brought last October but the airline did triple check the amount of coverage at the airport because it wasn't in USD
Good luck everyone trying to get back it's worth it,
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:19 pm Thailand has ZERO financial requirements to enter, ONLY $100,000 insurance in place of $50,000
I'd say having to pay for compulsory 14 days of quarantine at a hotel operating as "alternative state quarantine" facility does constitute a financial requirement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic