Cambodian Govt to Propose Law Against Inappropriate Dress

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodian Govt to Propose Law Against Inappropriate Dress

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian women are pushing back against this law proposal.

Petition:
The Cambodian government drafted legislation today that would allow Cambodian police to fine people that are dressed inappropriately. This was meant to reinforce a culture of impunity around sexual violence, specifically stopping men from going out shirtless and women from wearing anything too “short” or “see-through“.

Laws should be made to protect peoples’ rights, not oppress them. Women should be able to exercise their fundamental freedom and that includes self-expression through the clothes they choose to wear. “Reprimanding women for their clothing choices serves to reinforce the notion that women are to blame for the sexual violence they suffer, and thereby further entrenches the culture of impunity which exists in relation to gender-based violence.”

Lets put an end to this drafted legislation and make sure it doesn’t pass.

កម្ពុជាមិនត្រូវគាបសង្កត់សិទ្ធិស្រ្តីតាមរយ:យន្តការច្បាប់នោះទេ! រាជរដ្ឋាភិបាលកម្ពុជាបានតាក់តែងសេចក្តីព្រាងច្បាប់មួយនៅថ្ងៃនេះដែលនឹងអនុញ្ញាតឱ្យសមត្ថកិច្ចកម្ពុជាធ្វើការផាកពិន័យអ្នកដែលស្លៀកពាក់ “មិនសមរម្យ”។ សេចក្តីព្រាងច្បាប់នេះ​ ហាក់ដូចមានគោលបំណងពង្រឹងវប្បធម៌និទណ្ឌភាព​ជុំវិញអំពើហិង្សាផ្លូវភេទ​ ជាពិសេស​ បញ្ឈប់បុរសពីការចេញទៅក្រៅដោយមិនពាក់អាវ និងស្រ្តីមិនអោយ​ស្លៀកខ្លី"ខេីចលេីខេីចក្រោម" ឬ “ស្តេីងមេីលឃេីញកេរភេទ” ។

ច្បាប់គួរតែត្រូវបានតាក់តែងឡើងដើម្បីការពារសិទ្ធិសេរីភាពរបស់ប្រជាជន​ មិនមែនគាបសង្កត់ពួកគេនោះទេ។ ស្ត្រីគួរតែអាចប្រើប្រាស់សិទ្ធិសេរីភាពជាមូលដ្ឋានរបស់ពួកគេ រួមបញ្ចូលទាំងការបង្ហាញខ្លួនឯងតាមរយៈសម្លៀកបំពាក់ដែលពួកគេជ្រើសរើស។ ការមិនអនុញ្ញាត​ ឬ​ ការស្តីបន្ទោសស្ត្រីចំពោះជម្រើសសម្លៀកបំពាក់របស់ពួកគេ​ បានជម្រុញអោយកាន់តែមានការយល់ខុសដែលថា​ ស្ត្រីសមនឹងត្រូវស្តីបន្ទោសចំពោះអំពើហិង្សាផ្លូវភេទដែលពួកគេទទួលរង។ កាលនេះ​ បានធ្វេីអោយ វប្បធម៌និទណ្ឌភាពជុំវិញអំពេីហិង្សាលេីយេនឌ័រកាន់តែចាក់ឬស​ជ្រៅទៅៗនៅក្នុងសង្គមកម្ពុជា។

តោះ! រួមគ្នាបញ្ឈប់សេចក្តីព្រាងច្បាប់នេះ និងកុំអនុញ្ញាតអោយច្បាប់នេះត្រូវបានអនុម័តអោយសោះ។
https://www.change.org/p/teenagers-camb ... -en-us%3A4
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

whatwat wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm
Brody wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:08 pm
whatwat wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:35 am We all know what happened to someone’s mistress after the wife found out, eh.
A head (Which is what she aimed for) for an eye.

(What happened to that women JB? Any further info?)
There have been multiple "unsolved" murders / attempted murders in the same vein....which one were you referring to, this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisith_Pilika
That’s the one. For some reason I thought it was an acid attack but that was quite recent.
Maybe it's the Tat Marina case you were thinking of?

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... rina-moves
Silence, exile, and cunning.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Most Cambodian girls are conservative in the way they dress, and would never want to dress to look sexy, but many wear shorts.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

explorer wrote:Most Cambodian girls are conservative in the way they dress, and would never want to dress to look sexy, but many wear shorts.
Where did you conduct your research? It’s absolute nonsense.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:25 pm
explorer wrote:Most Cambodian girls are conservative in the way they dress, and would never want to dress to look sexy, but many wear shorts.
Maybe if you spend your time in bars in Phnom Penh.

I don't stay in Phnom Penh. I spend my time in smaller towns and villages.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Please don't say anything hurtful about the girls. These are nice girls with feelings. Most don't read this forum, but you never know.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

explorer wrote:
Maybe if you spend your time in bars in Phnom Penh.

I don't stay in Phnom Penh. I spend my time in smaller towns and villages.
I don’t live in Phnom Penh either. Please keep up if you’re going to insult my intelligence.

You make ridiculously broad, sweeping statements about girls in Cambodia like you’re the final authority on women’s issues. The world isn’t as black and white as you would like it to be.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Are you still denying that they wear shorts.

Do you still believe
rozzieoz wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 pm It’s absolute nonsense.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

rozzieoz

You keep attacking me.

I am never the aggressor.

Then when I post photographs proving my point, you accuse me of
rozzieoz wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:30 pm insult my intelligence.
Why don't you think it through. Why don't you think about having a discussion about Cambodia where we can all learn, instead of making it a personality contest.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 am Most Cambodian girls are conservative in the way they dress, and would never want to dress to look sexy, but many wear shorts.
I'd beg to differ. Times have changed, even 15 years ago people dressed much more conservatively. University students wore uniforms and the women's skirts were almost down to their ankles. Young women today are not affected so much by that wartime austerity and moralism - where the only women who dressed differently or were even out late at night were prostitutes.
Young women these days of course wear shorts a lot and whatever other outfits they want to. Lie anyone they are interested in looking good, fashionable and even attractive. Those girls in your photos all look high school age. :shock:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic