Bangkok Restaurant Refuses to Serve Foreigners

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bangkok Restaurant Refuses to Serve Foreigners

Post by sigmoid »

Obviously, this is fake news event staged using crisis actors.

The guy is simply trying to boost the number of people viewing his videos and expand his online presence by increasing the internet traffic to his profile.

it's quite strange how many foreigners adopt this victim mentality in Thailand and then stay there year after year. I guess they get addicted to the feeling of being outraged.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

In all fairness, I have experienced the same here in Vietnam. It went away for a little while but since a new outbreak this weekend, people are crossing the street again when they see me and I know I won't get a haircut for a while. Irrational fear really; all the new cases were Vietnamese.
glennb6
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by glennb6 »

Alex wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:50 am Probably an overreaction to the incidents in Rayong and Bangkok a few weeks ago, when COVID-19 positive foreigners were roaming the streets (okay, that's hyperbole) causing quite a panic.

While only a select few groups of foreigners can currently enter Thailand, they include the privileged types that think that silly little quarantine rules don't apply to them. That got many Thais angry, also because they are very familiar with that kind of attitude from their own "elites".

I haven't experienced anything like that myself (yet?), but it doesn't really surprise me either. There's a xenophobic element that cannot be denied, and such a crisis brings it out in some people.
over reaction indeed ! I'm surprised Uncle Prayut didn't airdrop a squadron of heavily armed special forces to stand "virus guard" throughout Rayong.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

hanno wrote:In all fairness, I have experienced the same here in Vietnam. It went away for a little while but since a new outbreak this weekend, people are crossing the street again when they see me and I know I won't get a haircut for a while. Irrational fear really; all the new cases were Vietnamese.
Everybody likes a bit of xenophobia in the morning.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

Kratom123 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 pmIts because of the virus. Why would businesses of any nation refuse to serve anyone, as thats why you are in business, to make money. I had a business in Cambodia and i would go to the market to buy stuff and they would part and runaway to get away from me even though i had a mask on.
Are you in Phnom Penh? Maybe it's different down there.

I have yet to wear a mask throughout any of this. I don't even own one. I go to the market almost every day. No one else there is wearing a mask. No one has run away from me yet.

There are businesses in Thailand, China, South Korea and Japan that refused to serve some/all foreigners long before anyone heard of coronavirus.

There are also businesses in Thailand that refuse to serve Thais, believe it or not. Like certain kinds of bars and "special" massage.

This is the world we live in. We're only as strong as the weakest among us.
aggro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by aggro »

hanno wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:41 am In all fairness, I have experienced the same here in Vietnam. It went away for a little while but since a new outbreak this weekend, people are crossing the street again when they see me and I know I won't get a haircut for a while. Irrational fear really; all the new cases were Vietnamese.
Have you ever seen this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... countries/

The survey asked respondents in more than 80 different countries to identify kinds of people they would not want as neighbors. Some respondents, picking from a list, chose "people of a different race." The more frequently that people in a given country say they don't want neighbors from other races, the economists reasoned, the less racially tolerant you could call that society.

According to the study, 30-39.9% of people in Vietnam said they would not want to live next to a person of another race. In the UK and US, less than 5% of people answered that way.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Dunderhead »

One of the benefits of living in a society like Cambodia, where the disaster of collective groupthink during the KR years is a living memory , is there is no f' in way you will get them to panic over a flu virus. I never wear a mask and no one ever bats an eye.
Meatwand
BANNED
Dominican Republic

Post by Meatwand »

OP- Video guy or whatever.

Get a Life.
You're in SE Asia.
It's a two-way street.

-How much is a youtube click these days?
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

yong wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:59 am Hope I’m not opening a can of worms with this. As a Singapore Chinese living here if and only if I were to open a restaurant there is a very high chance I will turn down China Chinese from patronizing my establishment be it an aircon or open air shop. I may put a sign at the entrance and if they persist of coming in I will politely ask them to leave if they don’t leave I will then call my police “friend” to help persuade them.

And if they still refuse I will close my fucking shop and ask them to fuck off. Doing all these to protect my customers.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

yong wrote:As a Singapore Chinese living here if and only if I were to open a restaurant there is a very high chance I will turn down China Chinese from patronizing my establishment be it an aircon or open air shop. I may put a sign at the entrance and if they persist of coming in I will politely ask them to leave if they don’t leave I will then call my police “friend” to help persuade them.
Don’t worry. President Xi will assimilate the Singapore Chinese into greater mainland China. Because in his mind, all Chinese = CCP.

Tik Tok already knows where your kids are and is slowly teaching them about the benefits of true democracy = people’s democracy = Chinese democracy.

Your Huawei phone already knows everything about mom and dad and their Huawei devices will be subtly telling them about the benefits of a high social credit score. So they can impress that on you to follow as a dutiful son.

(This is half in jest, half in bitter reality that’s coming.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic