A Dog Crossing the Road Kills 3 People

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: A Dog Crossing the Road Kills 3 People

Post by timmydownawell »

A van I was travelling in (and I had the misfortune to be stuck in the front seat next to the driver on this occasion) hit a good sized dog travelling at 70-80 km/h. Dog looked to its left, but not its right as it walked off the median. Driver beeped his horn and braked but there was no way to stop in time. If there'd been a moto riding close behind they could have hit the body.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:46 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:50 am The bike hit the dog, then got hit by the car. The body of the dog caused the bike to swerve a bit into the oncoming car.

RIP to the 3 guys.
I find it hard to believe three guys on a motorcycle, together heavier than 200 kg, will be diverted by hitting a 15 kg dog unless it hit the front wheel sideways.

I (90 kg) bit a dog twice. Once so fierce the spark plug broke. Me and my bike always beat the dog.
Man Bites Dog, Twice

Now that's a news story...
I might be a woman, but still news I guess.

I did bite a dog twice by the way, grilled dog, but still....
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Kammekor wrote:
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:50 am The bike hit the dog, then got hit by the car. The body of the dog caused the bike to swerve a bit into the oncoming car.

RIP to the 3 guys.
I find it hard to believe three guys on a motorcycle, together heavier than 200 kg, will be diverted by hitting a 15 kg dog unless it hit the front wheel sideways.

I (90 kg) hit a dog twice. Once so fierce the spark plug broke. Me and my bike always beat the dog. Indeed, if it’s me or Fido...
With 21" wheels it likely wouldn't be a problem, but I can totally see a scooter getting overturned, especially since a lot of weight was at the rear (two passengers), which usually makes for a wobbly front regardless. Though they could have also tried to avoid it and just accidentally swerved into the incoming car. I'm surprised stuff like this doesn't happen more often. I've seen people on a scooter smash into a cow before and it wasn't pretty (no deaths).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 am

you might be a woman??????????????
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:50 am

Man Bites Dog,

Now that's a news story...
"Man bites dog" is the english title for a Belgian great little movie from 30 years ago, that i recommend.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Arget wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:36 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 am

you might be a woman??????????????
:beer3:
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

How the pro's avoid dogs.

TEKOR
Tourist
China

Post by TEKOR »

Hit one in SR years ago. It jumped over the concrete barrier by the river and into traffic. It was already at running speed. I could have swerved hard left into oncoming traffic but that was the direction it was travelling. Barrier on my right. I just went straight and braced for impact. Hit it and stayed upright. Felt horrible. On my mind for weeks but nothing I could do.

In comparison ..I contracted out a tuk tuk for rides to work for 30 days. On our final day home a small dog came barrelling out onto the road from our right side. Small as a cat and moving fast. Perfect intercept with my driver's bike. He swerved hard left to avoid it but struck it while in the maneuver. He tried to correct by swerving hard right and was ejected from the bike. I remember holding on tight as my driverless tuk tuk continued. The bike actually stayed upright for a bit but then went down. I never flipped and was fine.

My driver suffered broken wrist, broken arm broken rib and some damage to his bike. The 150 he made off of my contract that night had to of been absorbed.

Poor guy. Saw him months later and he recovered.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Many moons ago, on approach to a desert airstrip, the Captain said to me- “I wonder if the dog is still there?”

As we landed, there was a noticeable thump

“Still there”

It seems that one of our crews had had a dog-strike on landing. Being Africa, it simply never got swept up. In the heat, it had dried up, and was I suppose not that interesting as carrion. Numerous landing aircraft had by now pummelled the remains into the runway, so the effect was akin to driving over painted road markings.
No surprise that a dog, when still largely dog shaped, could have an effect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic