Sad girl

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Sad girl

Post by explorer »

If you look at the Facebook pages of Cambodian girls, you will see some who say they are sad. Some also post pictures of girls crying.

Some also post pictures of slashed wrists, and a girl with a noose who could hang herself.

In some cases, the girls may be being light hearted, or they may be concerned about something which is not really very serious.

I recently dropped in on a family I had met in the past. I said, how are you? The daughter said in English, I am not happy. Then she said, my family doesn't love me. (Her family cannot understand English, and don't know what she said.) My first impression was, she is probably a bit immature, and overreacting to something which is not a big deal. A little while later, her older sister told me, with her listening, that she was lazy. Later on, her mother said, with her listening, they are poor, and don't have enough money to look after this daughter. She could have said, they don't have enough money for everything they want. But this daughter was the problem. To me that is sad. That was only in the short time I was there. I don't know what else have they said?

What is the real problem? It is partly the difficulty in making money in Cambodia. It is partly the fact that many Cambodians work enough to get enough money to live, they lie around doing nothing the rest of the time. It is partly because the father does some work, but not a lot.

If a job came up in a factory, she would probably be rushed off to work there.

If someone came along and said they wanted to marry her, she would probably say yes, how quick can we do it?

On the rare occasions that I might see her, I will try to encourage her.

She is too poor to have a phone or Facebook account.

You also realize some of the simpler Cambodians are not very smart at handling real life situations. In this case, I am thinking of her mother and sister.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sad girl

Post by Kammekor »

I think you missed out on the the desire to play ‘drama queen’. Fueled by Facebook and Khmer / Thai television soaps.

<edit>
And karaoke
</edit>
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Not to mention Khmer karaoke where he's leaving her and she's going to kill herself, etc.
Plenty of drama in Kh KTV. Does it reflect reality or does reality reflect ktv?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am I think you missed out on the the desire to play ‘drama queen’.
I agree. With some girls, it is a manipulative game.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

explorer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:44 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:33 am I think you missed out on the the desire to play ‘drama queen’.
I agree. With some girls, it is a manipulative game.
I agree, that with many girls it can be a chance, with encouragement from friends and family it can concern an outsider enough to get them easy money.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

What's the point of your post?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by hunter8 »

Seeking attention.
Women’s tears are water. Meaning they are worth exactly that.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:37 pm What's the point of your post?
The point of my post! Not to offend you firstly, but seeing what it mainly could be in this case, and that seems it is of attention seeking, for gain. The OP seems too once again (like in his recent posts) concern for the Eastern European girl, wanting to help many a young female. His he working for an NGO organisation, or registered charity. I would be very weary in this kind of help situation, not wanting to see of someone genuine in the news thread on this forum for the wrong reason.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

I believe this is an accurate picture of the op
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

The fun part is going along the muddy tracks in the villages with the wheelchair. Then of course, stopping along the way to recharge the batteries.

I can post ridiculous things too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic