Sad girl

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Re: Sad girl

Post by Kohker »

Sorry oh wise sage its called humor, it's one of their many human traits you are yet to learn.
Sartu,sartu,sartu.
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

explorer wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:11 am If you look at the Facebook pages of Cambodian girls, you will see some who say they are sad. Some also post pictures of girls crying.

Some also post pictures of slashed wrists, and a girl with a noose who could hang herself.

In some cases, the girls may be being light hearted, or they may be concerned about something which is not really very serious.

I recently dropped in on a family I had met in the past. I said, how are you? The daughter said in English, I am not happy. Then she said, my family doesn't love me. (Her family cannot understand English, and don't know what she said.) My first impression was, she is probably a bit immature, and overreacting to something which is not a big deal. A little while later, her older sister told me, with her listening, that she was lazy. Later on, her mother said, with her listening, they are poor, and don't have enough money to look after this daughter. She could have said, they don't have enough money for everything they want. But this daughter was the problem. To me that is sad. That was only in the short time I was there. I don't know what else have they said?

What is the real problem? It is partly the difficulty in making money in Cambodia. It is partly the fact that many Cambodians work enough to get enough money to live, they lie around doing nothing the rest of the time. It is partly because the father does some work, but not a lot.

If a job came up in a factory, she would probably be rushed off to work there.

If someone came along and said they wanted to marry her, she would probably say yes, how quick can we do it?

On the rare occasions that I might see her, I will try to encourage her.

She is too poor to have a phone or Facebook account.

You also realize some of the simpler Cambodians are not very smart at handling real life situations. In this case, I am thinking of her mother and sister.

I need to ask you why ???? do you look for this stuff on Facebook???
What is your point
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kohker wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:55 pm I believe this is an accurate picture of the op
Here is a video of the wheelchair on the road.

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Here, this one's for real.

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Some people get bored in nursing homes, and want some adventure. They don't get very far before the battery goes flat.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Explorer, here's a suggestion.
Why don't you post about the issues facing young Khmer men?
I'd love you men to actually discuss 'men's issues' once in a while.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Teddy1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Teddy1 »

I concur with rozzieoz.
Perhaps men don't have any issues...
NOT!!!!
My entire life can be summed up in one sentence:
"Well that didnt go as planned".
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:46 pm Why don't you post about the issues facing young Khmer men?
You could start the discussion.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Back to the OP’s initial discussion.

Maybe the girl in question was experiencing teenager hood.

Previous generations of Khmer were born directly from childhood to adulthood out of necessity. Some didn’t even get a childhood. So now they get to experience the real first world problems - teenagers!

Some have reasons to be seriously sad. Aka boyfriend wants to dump them. Guys that are just using them from the outset.

Some are just strange. Posts a sad picture. Missus is concerned, tries to call them. They aren’t answering, Because ... they’re out partying with their friends.

All sorts of reasons for sad girl... and sometimes none at all.

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

explorer wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:55 am
rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:46 pm Why don't you post about the issues facing young Khmer men?
You could start the discussion.
I'm a woman, I tend to stick to what I know. You should do the same.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic