What a shit day.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: What a shit day.

Post by vladimir »

It's from Animal Farm by George Orwell where the pigs run the commune and turns into real corrupt bastards.

I have never lived in a country where the police were respected, but here is a new low.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

The word 'pigs' for police comes from the early 1800s - I'll see if I can find a reference.

Edit: here we go- http://forums.officer.com/t73948/
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Wow, you live and learn, thanks SC
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

vladimir wrote:Wow, you live and learn, thanks SC
Life is complete, huh?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Police pulled her over because her motor doesn't have plate number. This is what they got afterward. She told them off so badly.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

StroppyChops wrote:The word 'pigs' for police comes from the early 1800s - I'll see if I can find a reference.

Edit: here we go- http://forums.officer.com/t73948/
That English major forgot to cite HIS source: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... r-the-fuzz

;)
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

This is the actual receipt from the Snookyville town clowns for their "driving while white/running a red light" scam. Hopefully this 5000 riel didn't make it into their beer fund.

The law/fines paperwork is so much fun to hand these thieves in blue. They really don't have an answer for it as it says all over it to get a receipt or its corruption. Wish I had it in Khmer.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

I'd hate to say it, but sometimes I'd rather pay a BS 10,000 riel fine than the $275 speeding fine I just incurred elsewhere... I've been pulled over at least 5 times here, but in total that's equated to maybe $25 of "extortion money" in Cambodia.
-insert signature here
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I don't like to feed the corruption express here. I blame all the road accidents/deaths on the police for not getting off their dead butts and enforcing traffic laws. Usually I'm the only one setting at a red light, but after the BIB did their red light scam for a few days in Snooky, a few more cars stopped with me. It was funny to see cars setting half way into the intersection when the driver realized the cops were on the corner and they couldn't just run the red light.

I've been setting at red lights and had cops on bikes and in new cop cars/trucks go around me to run red lights. Great example, Not! How about taking those new cop cars/trucks and patrolling Hwy #4, the Death Highway from Hell. Just like people throwing garbage all over the place or dumping their garbage in the streets/empty lots/beach, you've got to make them not want to do it. "Wallet Education."

They are very lucky I'm not the head cop here as all of my cops would be rich from actually patrolling and handing out tickets right and left. (If your going to be corrupt why settle for small change, there is a gold mine of traffic fines out there.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic